http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/muslim-mob-burns-150-homes-over-christian-blasphemy-8528231.html
Muslim mob burns 150 homes over Christian 'blasphemy' 
Riots sparked by argument between friends from the two communities

Andrew Buncombe  

Christian communities across Pakistan have launched angry protests after a 
Muslim mob set fire to a Christian neighbourhood in Lahore.

Police used tear-gas and baton charges to disperse the protesters today, 
following yesterday’s assault in the Badami Bagh area of Lahore. Several police 
were reportedly hurt.

The arson attacks took place amid allegations that a Christian man had 
committed blasphemy. The government has ordered in inquiry.

Today’s demonstrations took place as families in Badami Bagh returned to their 
homes to find at least 150 of them destroyed, despite assurances from police 
that they would be protected. Smaller demonstrations also took place in 
Karachi, Islamabad and Multan.

“Everything’s been destroyed, look,” said Kala Jee Allah Ditta, a municipal 
worker and father-of-four, gesturing to the charred remains of his three-roomed 
home in the small Joseph colony where the arson attacks took place.

The boundary wall of his home was destroyed, and the inside was blackened by 
the flames that had raged during Saturday’s attack. A pungent smell hung in the 
air, apparently from chemicals used as an accelerant. Around Mr Allah Ditta, an 
angry crowd gathered, gesturing to similar damage wrought on other homes in the 
area.

The community said police, anticipating trouble had asked them to evacuate 
their homes on Friday night. “The station house officer of the local area told 
us to leave,” said Chand Masih, another resident. The attackers arrived the 
next day, going from door to door in the now empty colony, setting light to 
homes.

In each of the narrow and dusty streets, families sat in the open, surveying 
the damage around them and consoling each other. One man stood among the crowd 
to declaim his grief. “Just because of one person’s wrongdoing, they have 
punished the entire community. Just look at what they’ve done! Why is the 
government not protecting us?”

The tragedy’s roots is said to lie in a quarrel between two friends, Mohammed 
Imran, a local Muslim barber, and Sahwan Masih, a 28-year-old Christian 
municipal cleaner, who lived across the road. They were close, by all accounts. 
“They would sit together, drink together,” said Mr Chand Masih.

Earlier in the week, on an afternoon when they were sitting outside Mr Imran’s 
barber shop, a fight broke out between them. It is not clear what was said, but 
residents claim sharp words were exchanged about each other’s faiths. By 
Friday, Mr Imran and another friend, Urf “Chico” Shafiq, told the local Muslims.

The colony rests next to Lahore’s steel mills, and the quarrel coincided with 
local elections for the steel worker’s union. According to residents, the 
leading candidates decided to make the alleged blasphemy a campaign issue.

A crowd - estimated to be more than 3,000 strong - first gathered on Friday. 
They gathered after Friday prayers, apparently urged on by the local religious 
leader. The police were there, although in just scores. The next day, the 
attackers returned to torch the colony.

Community leaders have accused the authorities of doing nothing and insist they 
must be protected. Julius Salik, an activist and former minister, who visited 
the site of Saturday’s attack, said: “It feels very bad there. There is no 
protection. The government does not care about the minorities. The government 
has failed.”

Sohail Johnson, of the city’s Sharing Life ministry, who also visited the 
scene, said although the authorities had vowed to investigate and the Chief 
Justice of Pakistan had taken up the case, there was little expectation that 
the perpetrators would be punished.

“We feel insecure and we feel we will not get justice. They have burned two 
churches and dozens of holy bibles,” he said. “We are sad. We are in grief.”

According to the Associated Press, a spokesman for the provincial government, 
Pervaiz Rasheed, promised that the authorities would help people rebuild their 
homes and said those suspected of involvement in the attacks on the Christian 
community “would be tried in anti-terrorist courts”. Up to 150 people have been 
detained.

Pakistan’s President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf 
have both ordered an investigation into the violence.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke