http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/authorities-seek-answers-in-boston-marathon-bombing/2013/04/20/d59e5682-a9cf-11e2-8302-3c7e0ea97057_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines


Authorities seek answers in Boston Marathon bombing
 
View Photo Gallery — Scenes from Boston, after a harrowing week following the 
marathon bombings: One suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings died after a 
shootout with police early Friday, and a second suspect was arrested that night.

  a.. 1464 
  b.. c.. d.. e.. f.. g.. h.. More
By Joel Achenbach and Robert Barnes, Sunday, April 21, 2:51 AM 
Authorities pressed forward Saturday in their search for answers in the Boston 
Marathon bombing, and the person who likely knows more than anyone else is the 
surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, known to friends as “Jahar.” He 
remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds and was “not able to communicate 
yet,” said Massachusetts Gov. Deval L. Patrick.

Tsarnaev is at heavily guarded Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, the same 
hospital where his older brother, Tamerlan, 26, was pronounced dead Friday 
after a shootout with police in the Boston suburb of Watertown.

Graphic

 
 
See the full sequence of events in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon 
bombings.

More on this story:

How the week unfolded
 
3:49 AM ET

GRAPHIC | See the full sequence of events in the aftermath of the Boston 
Marathon bombings.

What we know about Tamerlan and Dzhohkar Tsarnaev
 

The brothers suspected of being the Boston Marathon bombers lived in Kyrgyzstan 
(and possibly elsewhere) before emigrating to the United States in the early to 
mid-2000s.

Inside the investigation of the Boston Marathon bombing
 
David Montgomery, Sari Horwitz and Marc Fisher 2:25 AM ET

For 102 hours last week, nothing seemed certain in the manhunt that paralyzed 
Boston and its residents.

Bombing suspect’s YouTube playlist evolved in path toward radicalism
 
Will Englund and and Peter Finn 3:44 AM ET

Red flags for the Russians in Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s YouTube collection.

Investigation into the Boston bombings
 
APR 16

MAP | Explore the sequence and locations of the unfolding events in the Boston 
area. 

Boston Marathon bombings expose limits of post-9/11 security buildup
 
Greg Miller and Scott Wilson APR 20

Despite efforts over past decade, experts see few practical ways to shield 
against small-scale plots.

Video reportedly captures shootout
 

VIDEO | Eyewitness footage reportedly shows a shootout between police and the 
Boston suspects.


“One of the reasons why I and so many others are hoping the suspect survives is 
we have a million questions we want to ask him,” the governor said in an 
interview. “He’s in serious but stable condition. He’s in bad shape. He was 
bleeding for nearly a day. He was pretty weak and not in great shape.”

If and when he recovers, Tsarnaev is expected to be questioned by a special 
federal team of interrogators from the CIA, FBI and the military, tasked with 
grilling high-value terrorism suspects. The marathon bombing, which killed 
three people and wounded more than 170, has not been linked so far to any 
overseas terrorist network or any larger terrorist cell within the United 
States.

The brothers are also believed by authorities to be responsible for the 
shooting death of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer, 
26-year-old Sean Collier, on the school’s campus late Thursday night.

Federal prosecutors are planning to bring charges against the surviving 
suspect, but the complaint had not been filed as of late Saturday afternoon.

Authorities have not read him his Miranda rights, which include the right to 
remain silent and the right to an attorney. Federal law enforcement officials 
said they plan to use a public safety exception, outlined in a 1984 Supreme 
Court decision, “in order to question the suspect extensively about other 
potential explosive devices or accomplices and to gain critical intelligence.”

A delay in issuing Miranda warnings is justified when suspected terrorists are 
captured in the United States, according to a 2010 memorandum from the Justice 
Department. But on Saturday, the American Civil Liberties Union warned against 
too broad of an interpretation of that public safety exception.

“Every criminal defendant is entitled to be read Miranda rights. The public 
safety exception should be read narrowly. It applies only when there is a 
continued threat to public safety and is not an open-ended exception to the 
Miranda rule,” said Anthony D. Romero, the ACLU executive director.

The Miranda warning would come into play only if prosecutors planned to use any 
incriminating statements Tsarnaev might make against him. Federal authorities 
may feel they already have amassed much evidence against the teenager.

Miriam Conrad, the federal defender for Massachusetts, told the Associated 
Press her office expects to represent Tsarnaev after he is charged. Conrad says 
she thinks he should have a lawyer appointed as soon as possible because there 
are “serious issues regarding possible interrogation.”


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke