http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/east-java-mui-decries-miss-world-plans/


East Java MUI Decries Miss World Plans 
Conservative Islamic groups continue to pile on beauty pageant 

By Jakarta Globe on 2:02 pm April 29, 2013.

Category Featured, News
Tags: Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI), miss world competition 
 
Miss Indonesia Ines Putri Tjiptadi parades during the Miss World 2012 final 
ceremony at the Dongsheng stadium in the inner Mongolian city of Ordos on 
August 18, 2012. (AFP Photo/Ed Jones)

Another regional chapter of the country’s highest Islamic authority has taken 
issue with the hosting of the Miss World pageant in Bogor later this year, 
adding to the outcry by conservatives against the event.

The East Java branch of the Indonesian Council of Ulema (MUI) said on Sunday 
that it would send a letter to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to demand 
that the beauty pageant, to be held at the Sentul International Convention 
Center on Sept. 28, be scrapped.

“Indonesia shouldn’t have anything to do with such an event,” Abdusommad 
Bukhori, the provincial MUI chief, said as quoted by Detik.com.

“We want to advise the president not to allow it. The MUI’s rejection [of the 
pageant] has been echoed by other Islamic organizations in East Java.”

He argued that although the pageant would take place in West Java, the East 
Java MUI still felt compelled to speak out against it.

“Indonesia is a Muslim country [sic], and the event is meant to be held in 
Bogor, which has a lot of Islamic schools that have already voiced their 
rejection of it,” Abdusommad said.

“We have a hard time nurturing Muslims to become better people, and now 
everything’s being mixed up.”

He also hinted at a violent response to the event if the organizers proceeded 
to host it in Bogor.

“We want to build a country of morals, not one of hedonism,” he said.

“Don’t let there be conflict arising from this. End it now while there’s still 
time.”

The East Java MUI’s call echoes that by the West Java chapter of the clerical 
council, which earlier this month claimed that the pageant would “certainly 
hurt and sully Indonesia’s Muslim community.”

Mukri Aji, the provincial MUI chairman, said the beauty contest was just an 
excuse to flaunt body parts that should remain covered, adding that it was also 
impolite and against local religious norms.

The Bogor chapter of Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia, a hard-line Islamic group, also 
voiced its opposition to the pageant and called for it to be moved elsewhere.

West Java Governor Ahmad Heryawan, who enjoys strong backing from the 
province’s conservative Islamic groups, has countered that the show should go 
ahead, as long as there is no bikini category.

“This Miss World event is different with other similar events as during the 
grand final [the finalists] won’t wear a bikini,” Ahmad said in early April as 
quoted by Antaranews.com.

“God willing, it will be more polite.”

In 2007, an Islamic fundamentalist group in Bandung forced a Miss Universe 
pageant winner to call off a charity event there. The protesters argued that 
the beauty queen, Japanese national Riyo Mori, went “against Shariah” law and 
was a “symbol of the world’s adultery and pornography.”

An organizer of the charity event said that Mori suffered “psychological stress 
following a strong protest and decided to stay in her hotel” where the event 
was supposed to take place.

Liliana Tanoesoedibjo, the chairwoman of the Miss Indonesia organization, said 
it had taken three years of intense lobbying to convince the Miss World 
management to choose Indonesia as a host.

While the grand final will take place in Sentul, participants will also take 
part in activities around Jakarta and Bali.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke