http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/russia-detains-140-suspected-islamic-extremists.aspx?pageID=238&nID=45752&NewsCatID=353


Russia detains 140 suspected Islamic extremists 
MOSCOW - The Associated Press 

Russian police and security agents detained 140 people at a mosque in Moscow on 
April 26 on suspicion of involvement with Islamic extremism.

A statement from the Federal Security Agency reported by Russian news agencies 
said among those detained were 30 citizens of unspecified foreign countries.

The detentions come a week after the two suspects in the fatal Boston Marathon 
bombings were identified as Russian-born ethnic Chechens who sympathized with 
Islamic extremists.

There were no immediate reports of charges being filed. The security agency 
referred The Associated Press to a district office, where the telephone was not 
answered.

The reports cited the agency as saying the mosque previously has been visited 
by people who had been involved in preparing or carrying out terrorist attacks.

A Chechen separatist insurgency that began in the 1990s increasingly took on a 
fundamentalist Muslim character and spread to neighboring Russian Caucasus 
regions, including Dagestan, where Boston bombing suspects Tamerlan and 
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and their family lived for a period before emigrating to the 
United States in 2002 or 2003.

The Tsarnaevs' parents later returned to Dagestan, and Tamerlan, who was killed 
in a shootout with police last week, made a long visit in 2012. Investigators 
are trying to find out details of what he did on the six-month sojourn, 
especially whether he met with any extremists.

Caucasus extremists have carried out gruesome attacks on civilians in Russia, 
including the 2004 seizure of a school in the town of Beslan that ended in the 
deaths of 330 people, about half of them children. They also claimed 
responsibility for the 2011 bombing of Russia's busiest airport, killing 36 
people.

In 2011, U.S. authorities questioned Tamerlan Tsarnaev at Russia's request, but 
found nothing that sparked their interest and stopped watching him.

On April 26, officials briefed on the investigation told the AP that U.S. 
intelligence agencies had added the mother of the suspects, Zubeidat, to a 
government terrorism database 18 months before the bombings. The officials 
spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to 
speak publicly about the ongoing case. The mother called the information "lies 
and hypocrisy" and said she has never been linked to crimes or terrorism. 
April/26/2013


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke