http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/04/04/australia-indonesia-boost-security-defense-ties.html

Australia, Indonesia boost security, defense ties
Bagus BT Saragih, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Headlines | Thu, April 04 2013, 
9:15 AM 
A- A A+ 
Paper Edition | Page: 1

Common ground: Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa (left) and Defense Minister 
Purnomo Yusgiantoro (second left) greet their Australian counterparts Defense 
Minister Steven Smith (right) and Foreign Minister Bob Carr at Marty’s office 
in Jakarta on Wednesday. The two neighbors agreed to boost cooperation on 
security, illegal immigrants and terrorism. JP/Jerry Adiguna



The second annual “2+2” dialogue between the defense and foreign ministers of 
Australia and Indonesia on Wednesday reaffirmed the good, comprehensive and 
strategic cooperation, particularly in the defense and military sectors, 
between the two neighboring countries.

Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said the meeting managed to reflect the broad 
nature of Australian-Indonesia relations, which had seen so many ups and downs 
in the past years.

“It was a very constructive and useful discussion. We exchanged views on 
regional and global issues, such as Southeast Asia and the South China Sea, 
among other things,” Marty told a joint press conference after the meeting at 
the Foreign Ministry.

Topics discussed spanned from peacekeeping operations, disaster relief, 
maritime joint patrols, army and navy joint operations, counter-terrorism, as 
well as tackling people smuggling and human trafficking.

“Indonesia and Australia has a comprehensive and strategic partnership that is 
good at every level. Our defense relationship and cooperation have never been 
stronger,” Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr said. “There’s no country in 
the region more important to Australia than Indonesia.”

The inaugural 2+2 meeting was held in Canberra in March, 2012.

In the meeting, Australia also offered to sell Lockheed Martin C-130H Hercules 
transport aircraft at a bargain price, less than the six previously reported by 
the Indonesian Military (TNI), including “a simulator and some spare parts,” 
Carr said.

This would be the second deal after Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro and 
his Australian counterpart, Stephen Smith, signed agreements on defense 
cooperation in Darwin, Australia, last year, which included a grant of four 
refurbished C-130Hs.

“The discussion between Smith and I concerned defense to defense cooperation, 
particularly the implementation of the Lombok Treaty. We also discussed joint 
exercises, which include [Army Special Forces], as well as other army-to-army 
and navy-to-navy cooperation,” Purnomo said.

The Lombok Treaty, which came into effect in February 2008, provides a modern 
framework for intensified bilateral cooperation across all areas of defense, 
law enforcement, counter-terrorism, maritime security and humanitarian and 
disaster relief.

In September 2012, Purnomo and Smith signed a defense cooperation arrangement, 
providing a formal structure for practical defense cooperation under the Lombok 
Treaty.

In 2012, Indonesia and Australia engaged in a coordinated maritime patrol of 
the two countries’ shared maritime borders, while the Indonesian Air Force 
participated in Exercise Pitch Black for the first time.

In a statement, Carr said that Australia also offered cooperation in officer- 
and English-language training, with some 160 positions in Australia to be 
offered to Indonesian military personnel this year under the bilateral Defense 
Cooperation Program.

After the meeting, Carr and Smith paid a courtesy call to President Susilo 
Bambang Yudhoyono.

According to Marty, Yudhoyono expressed his concern over the latest situation 
in the Korean Peninsula before his Australian guests.

Carr was also slated to deliver a speech to the Indonesia-Australia Defense 
Alumni Association (IKAHAN).


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke