http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/05/08/aceh-flag-deadline-passed-talks-go.html


Aceh flag deadline passed, talks go on
Ina Parlina, The Jakarta Post | National | Wed, May 08 2013, 8:55 AM 
A- A A+ 
Paper Edition | Page: 4

The two-week deadline has passed but the central government and the Aceh 
provincial administration are no closer to resolving the controversial plan to 
change the province’s official flag, which resembles the flag of the 
now-defunct separatist group, the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).

The Home Ministry set the deadline for clarification of the plan late last 
month but a meeting between Home Minister Gamawan Fauzi and Aceh Governor Zaini 
Abdullah reached deadlock last week. The only agreement made between the two 
sides is that they would form a team of seven members each to settle the 
problem. Both teams are set to meet on Tuesday in Batam.

“Although we [the central government] are still encouraging a change in the 
format and design of the Aceh flag as it does not comply with Government 
Regulation No. 77/2007 on regional symbols, we are trying to find common ground 
between the two sides,” Home Ministry spokesman Reydonnyzar Moenek said on 
Tuesday. 

The central government team comprises representatives from the Home Ministry, 
Office of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister, the 
Law and Human Rights Ministry and the Administrative Reforms Ministry, while 
the Aceh team consists of members of the Aceh Legislative Council (DPRA) and 
the provincial administration.

The Aceh provincial administration had approved the use of the 
crescent-and-star flag and the Bouraq divine bird as the flag and symbol of the 
province through Bylaw No. 3/2013 which took effect on March 25.

The Aceh administration based its position on the Helsinki memorandum of 
understanding (MoU), which states that the province may have its own flag and 
coat-of-arms due to its special status.

However, article 4.2 of the MoU stipulates that GAM members should no longer 
wear uniforms or display the emblem or military symbol in public, although the 
GAM flag is not regarded as a sovereign flag.

The central government rejects the flag as it violates Government Regulation 
No. 77/2007 on regional symbols, which stipulates that the design of a regional 
symbol and flag must not be in part, or as a whole, the same as the symbol or 
flag of any banned organizations or separatist movements within the Republic.

The central government reacted by sending a letter to the provincial 
administration that gave it two weeks for clarification of the ordinance.

Several regencies, especially in the south, rejected the GAM flag and symbol, 
threatening the formation of a new province should the Aceh administration 
insist on using them. However, it appeared that both parties seemed to be calm 
and patient, waiting for the best peaceful solution.

Last week, Zaini came to the Constitutional Court to discuss the matter with 
chief justice Akil Mochtar.

Zaini said that the GAM flag was not meant to replace the Republic’s red and 
white flag and that they “had no intention of seceding from Indonesia”.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke