http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/mob-attacks-ahmadiyah-mosque-in-east-java/


Mob Attacks Ahmadiyah Mosque in East Java 
By Jakarta Globe on 5:43 pm May 17, 2013.
Category Featured, Law & Order, News
Tags: Ahmadiyah, Ahmadiyah Muslims, East Java, Indonesia religious intolerance, 
religious intolerance 
A mob of more than 100 people damaged an Ahmadiyah mosque in Tulungagung, East 
Java, on Thursday night.

Baitul Salam mosque, located in Gempolan village, Tulungagung, had its windows 
and entrance door destroyed after the mob, which consisted of youths from 
Gempolan village and neighboring areas, threw stones at it at 9:30 p.m.

“It was spontaneous, the mosque was destroyed by young people,” said Sarijan, a 
local resident whose house is near the mosque, on Friday, as quoted by Tempo.

Sarijan said that while three people — mosque attendant Japar, Ahmadiyah member 
Edi Susanto and Ahmadiyah preacher Rizal Fazli — were inside the mosque ahead 
of the attack, no one was killed.

Three hours before the attack, Imam Muslim, the local Indonesian Ulema Council 
(MUI) head, and police met with the trio to request that they shut down the 
mosque and stop spreading Ahmadiyah teachings. They also demanded Rizal leave 
the village immediately.

Edi and Rizal had been taken out of the mosque by the police before the attack, 
but Japar insisted on staying inside to close the doors and turn off the 
lights. He did not leave the mosque, which was built on land donated by his 
family, until the mob started to stone it. Imam evacuated him out of the mosque 
when the attack began.

“We have tried to mediate [conflict between congregations and residents], but 
Japar said that he was not the one responsible when residents asked him to 
knock down the mosque,” Imam said, as quoted by Antara news agency.

Sarijan said that local residents had long opposed the mosque and recently 
requested that worshippers shut it down.

Some police officers and soldiers are still securing the mosque. Japar and Edi 
have left their homes and Rizal has fled the village.

Tulungagung Police chief of detectives Adj. Comr. Lahuri said that he did not 
know about the incident.

“I don’t know, no report was filed to the police. Probably it was only small 
incident,” Lahuri said, as quoted by Okezone.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke