http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/world/europe/london-attacks.html?ref=global-home&_r=0

Officials Meet After Brutal Attack in Southeast London
By STEPHEN CASTLE
Published: May 22, 2013 
  a.. 
LONDON — Britain’s top security officials held an emergency meeting on 
Wednesday evening, after police officers shot two men who were suspected of 
killing what some reports identified as British soldier on a street in 
southeast London. 


Prime Minister David Cameron said there was a “strong indication” that the 
attack was a terrorist act, the BBC reported. ITV News showed images of a man 
with bloodied hands, carrying a large kitchen knife and a cleaver, saying, “We 
swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you.” 
In a statement, Home Secretary Theresa May said that a man had been “brutally 
murdered” in what she described as a “sickening and barbaric attack.” 

Mr. Cameron’s office said that he had asked Ms. May to hold a meeting of the 
COBR emergency committee, often referred to as Cobra, which coordinates the 
reaction to crises and episodes of terrorism. 

British news media quoted Nick Raynsford, the local member of Parliament, as 
saying that the dead man was a soldier at a nearby barracks, although that 
information was not confirmed by the British authorities. 

In a statement, Simon Letchford, a police commander, said that officers were 
called in the early afternoon to John Wilson Street in Woolwich, where one man 
was being assaulted by two other men wielding knives and possibly a gun. 

“A number of weapons were reportedly being used in the attack, and this 
included reports of a firearm,” Mr. Letchford said. 

“Shortly afterwards firearms officers arrived at the scene,” he said. “On their 
arrival at the scene they found a man, who was later pronounced dead.” 

“Two men, who we believe from early reports to have been carrying weapons, were 
shot by police. They were taken to separate London hospitals; they are 
receiving treatment for their injuries,” Mr. Letchford said. 

In a Twitter post, the mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said the attack was a 
“sickening deluded and unforgivable act of violence.” 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke