http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/world/middleeast/syria-assad.html?ref=global-home&pagewanted=all


Kerry Says Chemical Arms Attack in Syria Is ‘Undeniable’

Manuel Balce Ceneta/Associated Press
John Kerry's Statement on Syria: Secretary of State John Kerry said evidence 
“strongly indicates” that chemical weapons were used in Syria.

By MICHAEL R. GORDON, ALAN COWELL and RICK GLADSTONE
Published: August 26, 2013 472 Comments
  a.. 
WASHINGTON — Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday that the use of chemical 
weapons in attacks on civilians in Syria last week was undeniable and that the 
Obama administration would hold the Syrian government accountable for what he 
called a “moral obscenity” that had shocked the world’s conscience. 

In some of the most strident language used yet by the administration, Mr. Kerry 
accused the Syrian government of cynically seeking to cover up the use of the 
weapons, and he rejected its denial of responsibility for what he called a 
“cowardly crime.” 
Mr. Kerry’s remarks, in a prepared statement he read at the State Department, 
reinforced the administration’s toughening stance on the Syria conflict, which 
is now well into its third year, and he suggested that the White House was 
moving closer to a military response in consultation with America’s allies. 

“The indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children 
and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity,” Mr. Kerry 
said. 

“By any standard, it is inexcusable,” he said. “And despite the excuses and 
equivocations that some have manufactured, it is undeniable.” 

Mr. Kerry also said the Syrian government’s refusal to allow immediate access 
to the attack sites last Wednesday was a telling indicator that it was trying 
to hide responsibility. Even though a United Nations team was finally permitted 
by the Syrian government to investigate starting Monday, he said, the 
government’s authorization was “too late” to be credible. 

“Our sense of basic humanity is offended not only by this cowardly crime but 
also by the cynical attempt to cover it up,” he said. 

Mr. Kerry spoke hours after United Nations inspectors were finally allowed 
access to one of the attack sites, despite shooting from unidentified snipers 
that disabled their convoy’s lead vehicle. The inspectors still managed to 
visit two hospitals, interview witnesses and doctors and collect patient 
samples for the first time since the attack last week that claimed hundreds of 
lives. 

Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement that he had instructed his 
top disarmament official, Angela Kane, who was visiting Damascus, to register a 
“strong complaint to the Syrian government and authorities of opposition 
forces” to ensure the safety of the inspectors after the assault. There was no 
indication that any member of the inspection team had been hurt. 

Mr. Ban’s spokesman, Farhan Haq, told reporters at a regular daily briefing at 
United Nations headquarters in New York that the assailants, who had not been 
identified, fired on the first vehicle in the convoy, which was “hit in its 
tires and its front window, ultimately it was not able to travel further.” 

Antigovernment activists posted videos online of United Nations inspectors in 
blue helmets arriving in the Moadamiya area, southwest of the capital, where 
they were shown entering a clinic and interviewing patients. 

Moadamiya is a rebel-held suburb where antigovernment activists reported the 
smaller of two suspected chemical attacks last Wednesday. Videos posted then 
showed patients in a rebel field hospital apparently having trouble breathing. 

The visit by the United Nations inspectors to the Damascus suburb, in a 
half-dozen vehicles escorted by Syrian security forces, came shortly after 
President Bashar al-Assad of Syria denied that his forces had used poison gas 
against his own citizens, and as divisions between outside powers over how to 
handle the crisis showed no signs of easing. 

In an interview with the Russian newspaper Izvestia, published on Monday, Mr. 
Assad said accusations that his forces had used chemical weapons were illogical 
and an “outrage against common sense.” He warned the United States that 
military intervention in Syria would bring “failure just like in all the 
previous wars they waged, starting with Vietnam and up to the present day.” 

Mr. Assad’s choice of a Russian newspaper to air his views seemed to reflect 
Moscow’s strong support for the Syrian leader after last week’s attack on the 
outskirts of Damascus, which claimed hundreds of lives. 

On Sunday, a spokesman for Russia’s Foreign Ministry, Aleksandr K. Lukashevich, 
said that those who advocated an armed response to any chemical weapons attack 
— without citing the United States or other countries — were prejudging the 
results of the United Nations inspections. 

“In these conditions, we again resolutely call on all those who are trying to 
impose the results of the U.N. investigations and who say that armed actions 
against Syria is possible to show common sense and avoid tragic mistakes,” Mr. 
Lukashevich said in a statement released on the ministry’s Web site. 

While Mr. Assad has said he would give weapons inspectors access to the site, 
the gesture has been greeted with widespread skepticism in the West, with 
critics saying that the offer came too late for inspectors to make an accurate 
assessment of what happened. The British foreign secretary, William Hague, 
complained on Monday that access was not “unimpeded” since it was limited to a 
“certain number of hours.” 

British officials also said on Monday that Prime Minister David Cameron would 
cut short a vacation in Cornwall, in southwest England, to return to London and 
head a meeting of senior ministers on Wednesday. His gesture seemed designed to 
heighten the mood of crisis as outside powers wrestle with Mr. Assad’s refusal 
to bow to the West. 

“If someone dreams about turning Syria into a puppet of the West, it simply 
will not happen,” Mr. Assad told Izvestia. “We are an independent government, 
and we will battle with terrorism and we will freely build relations with those 
countries whom we want to.” 

In an interview Monday with Europe 1, a French radio station, Foreign Minister 
Laurent Fabius of France, said “all options” were still open in crafting an 
international response, but “the only option I do not envisage is to do 
nothing.” France has been a close ally of the rebels seeking Mr. Assad’s ouster 
in the country’s civil war. 

Mr. Fabius said there was no doubt that chemical weapons had been used and 
outside powers would negotiate a “proportionate response” in the “days to 
come.” 

In the welter of diplomatic maneuvering, Turkey, also a strong supporter of the 
rebels, said it would join an international coalition against Mr. Assad if the 
United Nations Security Council could not reach a consensus, Reuters reported, 
quoting Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in an interview with the Milliyet 
newspaper. 

In London, Mr. Hague took a similar approach to an international response. “Is 
it possible to respond to chemical weapons without complete unity on the U.N. 
Security Council?” he told the BBC in a radio interview. “I would argue yes it 
is, otherwise it might be impossible to respond to such outrages, such crimes, 
and I don’t think that’s an acceptable situation.” 

Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, warned against prejudgment about 
the use of chemical weapons, saying that the United States and other countries 
had already mistakenly drawn conclusions by raising the specter of punitive 
military strikes. As Russia has asserted previously, Mr. Lavrov suggested that 
the attacks had been orchestrated by the rebels or other nongovernmental 
forces, saying it was illogical that the Syrian government would have launched 
an attack that would prompt an international response. 

Mr. Lavrov warned that any Western intervention would be a “serious mistake,” 
evoking the experiences of interventions in Iraq and Libya in particular. 

“If someone thinks that, having bombed the Syrian military infrastructure and 
having left the battlefield such that the enemies of the regime will seize 
victory, that all this will end, it’s an illusion,” Mr. Lavrov told reporters 
at the Foreign Ministry in Moscow. “Even if such a victory is achieved, the 
civil war will continue. “ 

He said that bypassing the United Nations Security Council to move militarily 
against the Syrian government would be “the grossest violation of international 
law” that would “sharply worsen the situation.” 

In the interview with Izvestia, Mr. Assad said, “America has taken part in many 
wars but could not once achieve its political goals for which the wars were 
started. Yes, it is true, the great powers can wage wars but can they win 
them?” 

He said government troops would have risked killing their own forces if they 
had used chemical weapons. “This contradicts elementary logic,” news reports 
quoted him as saying. It is “not us but our enemies who are using chemical 
weapons,” he said, referring to antigovernment rebels as “the terrorists.” 

For his part, President Obama has not decided to take action, officials in 
Washington said on Sunday. But, moving a step closer to possible American 
military involvement in Syria, a senior Obama administration official said that 
there was “very little doubt” that Mr. Assad’s military forces had used 
chemical weapons against civilians and that a Syrian promise to allow United 
Nations inspectors access to the site was “too late to be credible.” 

Chuck Hagel, the American defense secretary, said Monday during a trip to 
Indonesia that the United States was examining all options but would not act 
alone. Speaking to reporters, Mr. Hagel said: “if there is any action taken, it 
will be in concert with the international community and within the framework of 
legal justification.” 

In Israel, a senior government official said Monday it was “crystal clear” that 
Mr. Assad’s forces used chemical weapons last week and called the United 
Nations investigation effort a “joke.” The official said that Iran, a close 
ally of the Syrian leader, should also be held responsible. 

“The world cannot allow this to proceed,” Yuval Steinitz, Israel’s minister of 
international affairs, strategy and intelligence, told international reporters 
at a briefing Monday morning in Jerusalem. “The Iranians are already trying to 
isolate themselves from the use of chemical weapons. This is a kind of 
hypocrisy. You cannot be part of this terrible, brutal war and say, ‘Yeah, I 
participate in the war but I isolate myself, I separate myself from the use of 
chemical weapons.’ Assad today is almost a total proxy to Iran.” 

Echoing other Israeli leaders, Mr. Steinitz suggested that the Syria situation 
was a kind of harbinger regarding Iran’s disputed nuclear program. “If Iran 
would get nuclear weapons, it’s going to create a new, very dangerous new 
world, this is a global game-changer,” he said. 

Regarding the United Nations inspectors’ search for evidence that chemical 
weapons were used, Mr. Steinitz said, “This is becoming a joke.” 


Michael R. Gordon reported from Washington, Alan Cowell from London and Rick 
Gladstone from New York. Reporting was contributed by Andrew Roth and Noah 
Sneider from Moscow, Ben Hubbard from Beirut, Lebanon, and Jodi Rudoren from 
Jerusalem.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke