Some of you may be interested in this ... forwarded from another network.

regards
Will

>>> Peter Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 28/03/2008 3:35:50 a.m. >>>

Dear colleagues,

I would like to let you know about the publication last week of a report
entitled "Capacity for Change". Sorry in advance for the rather long message
that follows below, but I would like to give a flavour of what the report
addresses, and we hope that many of you will find it of interest. The two parts
of the report can be accessed currently at:

Main report:
http://www.dgroups.org/groups/pelican/docs/Capacity_for_a_change.pdf?ois=no
Additional material:
http://www.dgroups.org/groups/pelican/docs/Additional_material.pdf?ois=no

Any comments or feedback would be very welcome.

Best wishes, Peter

-------------------------------------
Capacity for a Change

Enormous amounts of funding are invested every year in "capacity development"
(estimated at around 25% of the global expenditure on ODA), and of course there
are many positive outcomes from this, yet there is often dissatisfaction with
both the idea and the practice. This report from the 'Capacity Collective' - a
so-far informal grouping of organisations and individuals, many of whom engage
regularly in PELICAN discussions, was based on an international dialogue and
workshop convened by IDS in Autumn 2007, and supported jointly by DFID, IDRC,
the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, IrishAid and the UK ESRC. The
Report sets out for policy makers and a range of actors across
donor/practitioner/research communities a series of challenges and
opportunities for support to capacity development (CD). It aims to encourage
further debate on deeper meanings of knowledge and learning, and on ways in
which power relations influence the capacity of individuals and organisations
to engage as actors in processes of development and change. It pays particular
attention to a systemic approach for understanding and supporting the
development of capacity at three interlinked levels: the individual, the
organisational and in wider society.

The Report which we see as representing a collective effort to explore these
issues, has been published as a means of contributing to an ongoing, open
dialogue that aims to help reduce the gap between 'what we know' about CD, and
'what we do'. It is published in two sections; the first part is a stand-alone
publication containing analysis, discussions, and suggestions for ways to move
forward. The second part contains a series of annexes, including a set of
scoping papers commissioned as part of the Capacity Collective initiative, a
listing of how different organizations define CD, listing of a range of recent
projects and programmes focusing
on CD, as well as the findings of evaluative studies of CD initiatives, and
finally a set of conceptual frameworks for CD emerging through the work of
several different organisations.

Considering evidence from CD practice and the dialogue that took place through
the initiative, the Report observes that the majority of CD initiatives adopt
an instrumental and technical approach, emphasizing mechanical fixes for
technical blocks, applying predetermined inputs for training, organisational
development or institutional reform, with little attention to systematic
contextual assessment of capacity needs or drawing on valuable knowledge
associated with wider disciplines. Theoretical understandings of change
processes are rarely articulated. Despite the common rhetoric of 'partnership',
insufficient attention is paid to the nature and evolution of the relationships
within which CD is to be promoted, and a North-South transfer of capacity is
often assumed, rather than a process of mutual learning and change. Our
reflection on the evidence has led those involved in the Capacity Collective to
identify four key dimensions of successful CD. First, an evaluative, rather
than a
merely descriptive, stance to capacity development analysis appears to be an
essential attribute of successful interventions. Second, successful CD focuses
on the dynamics and processes that are encountered or seen as desirable, and
emphasises the importance of learning, rather than applying a limited
technical/rational model. Third, a critical dimension of successful CD is the
systemic integration of the levels of individual, organisational and wider
society. And fourth, a nuanced understanding of
specific context is needed, recognising the importance of political, social,
economic and cultural factors. Fundamentally, we believe that valuable
opportunities are being lost for learning, which demands a continuous interplay
between developing theoretical understanding and improved practice.

The Report recognises that energy for good change exists in every context, but
that there is a need to learn how to construct approaches that detect the
dynamics of specific context and to mobilise and nurture this energy
productively through a process of dialogue. This means focusing on change and
adaptive management in an approach rooted in endogenous strengths, needs,
aspirations and expectations arising from specific contexts rather than seeing
CD always from an exogenous, deficit perspective. The report calls for a real
sea-change in how CD is understood and practiced, by:
* promoting empowering relationships
* supporting rallying ideas
* mobilising dynamic agents
* proactively framing and shaping the context for CD
* enhancing grounding/enabling knowledge and skills through systemic learning
processes.

Looking forward, there is a wide range of actions that may facilitate this
change in the current paradigm for CD, moving towards a more systemic approach
that mobilises energy for good change:
* supporting the development of innovative strategies for evaluation of CD from
a systems and learning perspective
* revisiting the way CD processes are labelled, to ensure that learning is
maximised from a very wide range of activities as well as being more rigorous
about what is understood as CD, and
* examining the relative strengths and weaknesses of CD interventions within
different forms of partnership, over different time-frames, in order to
identify the variables that bring about significant and positive change in
power relations, equity and voice.

Through the work of the Collective, we have identified specific ways forward
for certain groups of actors - including donors, and a wider group of
researchers, CD service providers and practitioners. A real shift in thinking
and practice of CD requires a shared learning process of different actors -
donors, academic researchers and practitioners. In the Capacity Collective we
hope to involve actors who have not participated so far in this dialogue, in a
shared endeavour to challenge and reimagine CD.

Only through a combined and committed effort in advocacy and dialogue, and a
determination to link theory, policy and practice systemically, does it seem
likely that the benefits from capacity development processes will be realised
in ways that make a real difference to the development challenges of the future.

We hope that the "Capacity Collective" will continue to support this
collaboration, and we welcome feedback, and ideas for further collective work
on this issue. For further information, please contact Peter Taylor, at [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged.
They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read, used, copied
or disseminated
by anyone receiving them in error. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by
return email and delete this message and any attachments.

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the
official views of Landcare Research.
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz