Thanks Chrys, and yes, I agree that "system wide change" depends on
where you put your boundaries. I guess I don't disagree that incremental
changes can lead systems to be quite different (transformed) from how
they were previously. However, I think that there are some problems
where we can't afford to wait for small changes that eventually will get
us to the tipping point so that someone sneezing at the right moment can
tip us over. If, like me, you think there are issues that warrant
putting a lot of effort in now to try to achieve a radical change (i.e.,
to fast-forward all those small changes) then the question must be how
the heck can we do that? Relationship building is an important part, so
is there an effective speed-dating method we can use?

Also, cognitive science has shown that people rarely have "aha" moments
that really lead to a change. There was some research done that showed
that where people had formed negative impressions of a colleague, even
when confronted with positive behaviours that they could clearly see (an
"aha" moment?), this positive behaviour would still be explained in
terms of the negative framing that had been used previously. "Oh, s/he's
only doing that because ... (some reason that draws on the negative
behaviour seen previously)." This suggests it is very difficult to shift
people from a previous way of framing. When you transfer this insight
into how people from different stakeholder groups, different
disciplines, different institutions, perceive one another in their
working together on a specific knotty problem, it suggests that getting
a transformative/transformational change (in which they don't just say
"aha!", but also then push for structural changes that will build on the
insight that was gained) is going to be difficult. They'll wobble and
bobble around and be attracted back to their previous way of thinking
about what needs to be done.

A lot of conjecture here, so feedback welcome.

Another quick point, I'm not assuming that we can know in advance what
interventions will work just asking what benefits could be gained if we
think through ways in which we approach situations where things have
become somewhat intractable.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Wndy