From: J Marina Apgar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 10 November 2008 12:55 p.m.
To: Chrys Horn; intsci@learningforsustainability.net
Subject: Re: [IntSci] Running Hot 2: Interconnection: NZ Science in the 21st
century

I enjoyed runninghot tremendously, thanks to the organisers, and I think it was
mainly because of the broad range of participants all willing to engage in
dialogue. I had many thoughts on many aspects of what has being discussed
during the conference, but here is one that kept creeping up on me.

The use of the term “science” was troublesome to me. I acknowledge that in
multidisciplinary conversations use of language will always be a barrier, but
my concern in this case came not from the barrier between disciplines but from
the use of the term “science” suggesting that the practice of creating wise
science or knowledge for sustainability as an academic endeavour to then be fed
into the policy process and communicated to the public. Making new knowledge
useful to society in facing sustainability is a question of wider social
processes that must include non academic groups at all levels, it is about
social learning, not simply applying the right new knowledge and using the
right communication techniques to bring about behaviour change. This is
particularly important in multiethnic societies such as NZ where indigenous
peoples’ and other minority groups' epistemologies, knowledge systems and
participation should be promoted.  Perhaps
 this would have been clearer if there were more non academic speakers.
Someone in one of my groups (sorry I don't remember your name) suggested use of
the term "inquiry" and I think this could work well as all of us can be part of
a process of inquiry. Inclusive language is important for what we are trying to
do.

 Marina Apgar
 PhD candidate - Indigenous Epistemologies
 Environment, Society and Design Division
 Lincoln University
 Aotearoa / New Zealand