Solved:
Removed '"android:process=":remote"' from the manifest <service> element.
This was causing the service to run as a separate process. The debugger
could be attached, but only after it was running and I need to debug the
setup(). There may be ways to pause the remote process until the debugger
attaches, but this works for me.