Hi Mikhail,

thanks for replying.  I had forgotten about this thread. I actually meant
that I didn't need device mode... I fixed the issue by grounding the usbid
pic pin (with no resistor). This enabled the connection between my android
app and my custom ioio. And yes I do have a usb-a connector on my board and
I'm using a cut and spliced usb-a male to male cable to connect to the pc
to flash the application firmware.

So I'm now able to flash the bootloader and application and use my app with
my custom board. I do still have other issues with inputs/outputs/power
management so I'm still looking for an electronics expert (ideally with an
automotive background) to help me complete the project.