Hi Arnd,

Thanks for having a look.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 07:11:23PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2014 18:56:29 Will Deacon wrote:
> >
> > Here is the fourth iteration of the RFC I've previously posted here:
> >
> >   RFCv1:
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-August/283023.html
> >   RFCv2:
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-September/283752.html
> >   RFCv3:
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-September/287031.html
> >
> > Changes since RFCv3 include:
> >
> >   - Drastic simplification of the data structures, so that we no longer
> >     pass around lists of domains. Instead, dma-mapping is expected to
> >     allocate the domain (Joerg talked about adding a get_default_domain
> >     operation to iommu_ops).
> >
> >   - iommu_ops is used to hold the per-instance IOMMU data
> >
> >   - Configuration of DMA segments added to of_dma_configure
> >
> > All feedback welcome.
> >

> Overall I think this is really nice, and I don't mind this going in,
> I only have one issue with they way you use iommu_ops now:

Hehe, I thought you might have something to say about that. I also had second
thoughts, but decided it wasn't worse than what we already have (more below).

> At the moment, iommu_ops is a structure that can get used for any
> number of iommus of the same type, but by putting per-device private
> data into the same structure you have to duplicate it per instance.

I'm not sure I agree -- the pgsize_bitmap, for example, could vary between
different implementations of the same IOMMU. I think we already have this in
Juno (some SMMUs can only do 64k pages, whilst others can do 4k and 64k).

> I think rather than adding a .priv pointer to iommu_ops, we should do
> the same thing that a lot of other subsystems have:
>
> /* generic structure */
> struct iommu {
>       struct iommu_ops *ops;
>       /* possibly other generic per-instance members */
> };
>
> /* driver specific structure */
> struct arm_smmu {
>       struct iommu iommu;
>
>       /* smmu specific members */
> };
> static inline struct arm_smmu *to_arm_smmu(struct iommu *iommu)
> {
>       return container_of(iommu, struct arm_smmu, iommu);
> }

Regardless of the arguments above, I think this layout is cleaner. We could
also move the pgsize_bitmap into struct iommu in that case, however, that
would be a more invasive patch series than I what I currently have.

If I do another version of the patch, I can easily add a struct iommu and
stash that in the device_node data for the IOMMU instead of directly
putting the ops there. That's at least a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Will