On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 01:21:31PM +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Thierry Reding <thierry.red...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> I've already acked it. Why are we still talking about it?  :-D
> >
> > Am I missing something? Why is there a need to rush things? Are there
> > actually drivers that depend on this that will be merged during the 3.19
> > merge window? It seems like that'd be cutting it really close given
> > where we are in the release cycle.
> >
> > If that's not the case, why even bother getting this hack into 3.19 if
> > nobody uses it and we're going to change it in 3.20 anyway?
>
> I also acked the non-hack version, the patch that doesn't try to make
> everything const. I assumed that was the one that we are talking about
> merging.

Actually not making everything const would be a hack. Drivers already
mark their struct iommu_ops as const.

But I'm more referring to the series as a whole. It seems like there are
various issues that still need to be ironed out, and there's committment
to do that before 3.20, so unless there are drivers that need any of the
unfinished patches for 3.19 I don't see why we should be merging them in
the first place.

If getting them into 3.19 is merely to resolve dependencies then it's
not going to work well anyway. Since this is all going to change in 3.20
anyway we'd likely have new dependencies that need to be handled, so
might just as well do it properly at that time.

Thierry