On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 04:46:59PM +0100, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> > > Freescale would be interested in using the vSMMU implementation. We have
> > > use cases for assigning devices to guest user space. Are you suggesting
> > > that you are more inclined to using the para virtualized approach?
> >
> > I can see arguments either way; the vSMMU means that the guest can use the
> > same SMMU driver as the host but a para-virtualised approach could
> > theoretically be used across multiple SMMU implementations as well as
> > potentially being kinder on the TLB.
>
> In the paravirt approach is the guest managing its own stage 1
> page tables (read directly by the hardware SMMU)?

No; ideally the paravirtualised interface would abstract any details of
the hardware, including page table format. So you might have a "map" hvc
call that takes iova, (guest) phys, size, for example. Then the hypervisor
would manually collapse that into the current page tables using iommu_map.

> Is there anything written up anywhere sketching out how the paravirt
> approach would work?   Are there any limitations vs the vSMMU?

Not yet, and that's exactly the kind of research/investigation I'd like to
see happening before we commit ourselves one way or the other.

Will