On Tue, 3 Oct 2017, David Laight wrote:

> [...]

As the changelog says: x86 only implements dma_alloc_coherent() which as
the name says returns coherent memory, i.e. type WB (write back), which is
not subject to dma_cache_sync() operations.

If the driver converts that memory to WC (write combine) on its own via
PAT/MTRR, then it needs to take care of flushing the write buffer on its
own. It's not convered by this interface.

Thanks,

        tglx