On 13/02/18 23:34, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

I think the problem exists even if there is a single device in the group.
If for example, malloc() returns a VA that corresponds to a PCI host
bridge in IOVA space, performing DMA on that buffer won't reach the IOMMU
and will cause undesirable side-effects.

My series doesn't address the problem, but I believe we should carve
reserved regions out of the process address space during bind(), for
example by creating a PROT_NONE vma preventing userspace from obtaining
that VA.

If you solve this problem, you also solve it for multiple devices in a
group, because the IOMMU core provides the resv API on groups... That's
until you hotplug a device into a live group (currently WARN in VFIO),
with different resv regions.

>> I kept the analogy simple though, because I don't think there will be many
>> SVA-capable systems that require IOMMU groups. They will likely
>
> I agree that multiple SVA-capable devices in same IOMMU group is not
> a typical configuration, especially it's usually observed on new devices.
> Then based on above limitation, I think we could just explicitly avoid
> enabling SVA in such case. :-)

I'd certainly like that :)

Thanks,
Jean