On 08/10/2018 07:10 PM, Logan Gunthorpe wrote:

On 10/08/18 06:53 PM, Kit Chow wrote:
I was able to finally succeed in doing the dma transfers over ioat only
when prot has DMA_PTE_WRITE set by setting the direction to either
DMA_FROM_DEVICE or DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL. Any ideas if the prot settings
need to be changed? Are there any bad side effects if I used
DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL?
Good to hear it. Without digging into the direction much all I can say
is that it can sometimes be very confusing what the direction is. Adding
another PCI device just adds to the confusion.
Yep, confusing :).

======================= =============================================
DMA_NONE                no direction (used for debugging)
DMA_TO_DEVICE           data is going from the memory to the device
DMA_FROM_DEVICE         data is coming from the device to the memory
DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL       direction isn't known
======================= =============================================

I believe, the direction should be from the IOAT's point of view. So if
the IOAT is writing to the BAR you'd set DMA_FROM_DEVICE (ie. data is
coming from the IOAT) and if it's reading you'd set DMA_TO_DEVICE (ie.
data is going to the IOAT).
It would certainly seem like DMA_TO_DEVICE would be the proper choice; IOAT is the plumbing to move host data (memory) to the bar address (device).

Will go with what works and set DMA_FROM_DEVICE.

In ntb_async_tx_submit, does the direction used for the dma_map routines for the src and dest addresses need to be consistent?

And does the direction setting for the dmaengine_unmap_data have to be consistent with the direction used in dma_map_*?

BTW, dmaengine_unmap routine only calls dma_unmap_page. Should it keep track of the dma_map routine used and call the corresponding dma_unmap routine?  In the case of the intel iommu, it doesn't matter.

Thanks
Kit

Using DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL just forgoes any hardware security / protection
that the buffer would have in terms of direction. Generally it's good
practice to use the strictest direction you can.

Given that using the pci bar address as is without getting an iommu
address results in the same "PTE Write access" error, I wonder if there
is some internal 'prot' associated with the non-translated pci bar
address that just needs to be tweaked to include DMA_PTE_WRITE???
No, I don't think so. The 'prot' will be a property of the IOMMU. Not
having an entry is probably just the same (from the perspective of the
error you see) as only having an entry for reading.

Logan