On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:52 AM Joerg Roedel <j...@8bytes.org> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 07:52:02PM +0100, Tom Murphy wrote:
> > Convert the AMD iommu driver to the dma-iommu api. Remove the iova
> > handling and reserve region code from the AMD iommu driver.
>
> Thank you for your work on this! I appreciate that much, but I am not
> sure we are ready to make that move for the AMD and Intel IOMMU drivers
> yet.
>
> My main concern right now is that these changes will add a per-page
> table lock into the fast-path for dma-mapping operations. There has been
> much work in the past to remove all locking from these code-paths and
> make it scalable on x86.

Where is the locking introduced? intel doesn't use a lock in it's
iommu_map function:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/f2c7c76c5d0a443053e94adb9f0918fa2fb85c3a/drivers/iommu/intel-iommu.c#L5302
because it cleverly uses cmpxchg64 to avoid using locks:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/f2c7c76c5d0a443053e94adb9f0918fa2fb85c3a/drivers/iommu/intel-iommu.c#L900
And the locking in AMD's iommu_map function can be removed (and i have
removed it in my patch set) because it does that same thing as intel:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/f2c7c76c5d0a443053e94adb9f0918fa2fb85c3a/drivers/iommu/amd_iommu.c#L1486

Is there something I'm missing?