Hi Maxime,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 01:47:10PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> As far as I understand it, the page table can be accessed concurrently
> since the framework doesn't seem to provide any serialization /
> locking, shouldn't we have some locks to prevent concurrent access?

The dma-iommu code makes sure that there are no concurrent accesses to
the same address-range of the page-table, but there can (and will) be
concurrent accesses to the same page-table, just for different parts of
the address space.

Making this lock-less usually involves updating non-leaf page-table
entries using atomic compare-exchange instructions.

> > > + *pte_addr = sun50i_mk_pte(paddr, prot);
> > > + sun50i_table_flush(sun50i_domain, pte_addr, 1);
> >
> > This maps only one page, right? But the function needs to map up to
> > 'size' as given in the parameter list.
>
> It does, but pgsize_bitmap is set to 4k only (since the hardware only
> supports that), so we would have multiple calls to map, each time with
> a single page judging from:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/iommu/iommu.c#L1948
>
> Right?

Okay, you are right here. Just note that when this function is called
for every 4k page it should better be fast and avoid slow things like
TLB flushes.

> The vendor driver was doing something along those lines and I wanted
> to be conservative with the cache management if we didn't run into
> performances issues, but I'll convert to the iotlb callbacks then.

Yeah, that definitly helps performance.

Regards,

        Joerg