Hi Alex,

On 9/29/20 8:18 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 09:18:22 +0200
> Auger Eric <eric.au...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> [also correcting some outdated email addresses + adding Lorenzo in cc]
>>
>> On 9/29/20 12:42 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:

>>> I think that dma_mask is traditionally a DMA API interface for a device
>>> driver to indicate to the DMA layer which mappings are accessible to the
>>> device.  On the other hand, vfio makes use of the IOMMU API where the
>>> driver is in userspace.  That userspace driver has full control of the
>>> IOVA range of the device, therefore dma_mask is mostly irrelevant to
>>> vfio.  I think the issue you're trying to tackle is that the IORT code
>>> is making use of the dma_mask to try to describe a DMA address
>>> limitation imposed by the PCI root bus, living between the endpoint
>>> device and the IOMMU.  Therefore, if the IORT code is exposing a
>>> topology or system imposed device limitation, this seems much more akin
>>> to something like an MSI reserved range, where it's not necessarily the
>>> device or the IOMMU with the limitation, but something that sits
>>> between them.
>>
>> First I think I failed to explain the context. I worked on NVMe
>> passthrough on ARM. The QEMU NVMe backend uses VFIO to program the
>> physical device. The IOVA allocator there currently uses an IOVA range
>> within [0x10000, 1ULL << 39]. This IOVA layout rather is arbitrary if I
>> understand correctly.
>
> 39 bits is the minimum available on some VT-d systems, so it was
> probably considered a reasonable minimum address width to consider.
OK

>> I noticed we rapidly get some VFIO MAP DMA
>> failures because the allocated IOVA collide with the ARM MSI reserved
>> IOVA window [0x8000000, 0x8100000]. Since  9b77e5c79840 ("vfio/type1:
>> Check reserved region conflict and update iova list"), such VFIO MAP DMA
>> attempts to map IOVAs belonging to host reserved IOVA windows fail. So,
>> by using the VFIO_IOMMU_GET_INFO ioctl /
>> VFIO_IOMMU_TYPE1_INFO_CAP_IOVA_RANGE I can change the IOVA allocator to
>> avoid allocating within this range and others. While working on this, I
>> tried to automatically compute the min/max IOVAs and change the
>> arbitrary [0x10000, 1ULL << 39]. My SMMUv2 supports up to 48b so
>> naturally the max IOVA was computed as 1ULL << 48. The QEMU NVMe backend
>> allocates at the bottom and at the top of the range. I noticed the use
>> case was not working as soon as the top IOVA was more than 1ULL << 42.
>> And then we noticed the dma_mask was set to 42 by using
>> cat  /sys/bus/pci/devices/0005:01:00.0/dma_mask_bits. So my
>> interpretation is the dma_mask was somehow containing the info the
>> device couldn't handle IOVAs beyond a certain limit.
>
> I see that there are both OF and ACPI hooks in pci_dma_configure() and
> both modify dev->dma_mask, which is what pci-sysfs is exposing here,
> but I'm not convinced this even does what it's intended to do.  The
> driver core calls this via the bus->dma_configure callback before
> probing a driver, but then what happens when the driver calls
> pci_set_dma_mask()?  This is just a wrapper for dma_set_mask() and I
> don't see anywhere that would take into account the existing
> dev->dma_mask.  It seems for example that pci_dma_configure() could
> produce a 42 bit mask as we have here, then the driver could override
> that with anything that the dma_ops.dma_supported() callback finds
> acceptable, and I don't see any instances where the current
> dev->dma_mask is considered.  Am I overlooking something?

I don't see it either. So the dma_mask set by the driver would never be
checked against the dma_mask limited found when parsing OF/ACPI?

>> In my case the 42b limit is computed in iort_dma_setup() by
>> acpi_dma_get_range(dev, &dmaaddr, &offset, &size);
>>
>> Referring to the comment, it does "Evaluate DMA regions and return
>> respectively DMA region start, offset and size in dma_addr, offset and
>> size on parsing success". This parses the ACPI table, looking for ACPI
>> companions with _DMA methods.
>>
>> But as Alex mentioned, the IORT also allows to define limits on "the
>> number of address bits, starting from the least significant bit that can
>> be generated by a device when it accesses memory". See Named component
>> node.Device Memory Address Size limit or PCI root complex node. Memory
>> address size limit.
>>
>>         ret = acpi_dma_get_range(dev, &dmaaddr, &offset, &size);
>>         if (ret == -ENODEV)
>>                 ret = dev_is_pci(dev) ? rc_dma_get_range(dev, &size)
>>                                       : nc_dma_get_range(dev, &size);
>>
>> So eventually those info collected from the ACPI tables which do impact
>> the usable IOVA range seem to be stored in the dma_mask, hence that
>> proposal.
>
> As above, it's not clear to me that anyone other than the driver and
> the dma_supported() callback on dma_ops have any input on the value of
> dma_mask, so I'm a little baffled by the current operation.

me too

>>> Rather it adds a reserved region accounting for the range above the
>>> device's dma_mask.
>>
>> Yep. It adds new reserved regions in
>> /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/<n>/reserved_regions and remove those from the
>> usable regions exposed by VFIO GET_INFO.
>>
>>   I don't think the IOMMU API should be consuming
>>> dma_mask like this though.  For example, what happens in
>>> pci_dma_configure() when there are no OF or ACPI DMA restrictions?
>> My guess was that the dma_mask was set to the max range but I did not
>> test it.
>
> Still, we're making use of a driver configured property for the
> purposes of using the DMA API and consuming it in the IOMMU API,
> specifically to satisfy a userspace driver where the in-kernel meta-
> driver can't make any assumptions about the device DMA mask.  It's all
> rather convoluted.

I can't object here. Still we are missing missing consolidated info
about max IOVA range. I interpreted the dma_mask as the info missing to
get it consolidated but now we are not even sure it does the job and
even I would hijack its original goal.
>>   It
>>> appears to me that the dma_mask from whatever previous driver had the
>>> device carries over to the new driver.  That's generally ok for the DMA
>>> API because a driver is required to set the device's DMA mask.  It
>>> doesn't make sense however to blindly consume that dma_mask and export
>>> it via an IOMMU API.  For example I would expect to see different
>>> results depending on whether a host driver has been bound to a device.
>>> It seems the correct IOMMU API approach would be for the IORT code to
>>> specifically register reserved ranges for the device.
>>
>> Is it only specific to IORT table? acpi_dma_get_range() in
>> drivers/acpi/scan.c is generic.
>
> Yes, anything trying to implement similar restrictions.  It appears to
> me that platform code is stepping on a driver owned field used by
> dma_ops already here.  Maybe reserved regions should be consumed by
> dma_ops to understand restrictions between the device and the IOMMU.

>>> Why?  The IOMMU geometry already describes this and vfio combines both
>>> the IOMMU geometry and the device reserved regions when generating the
>>> IOVA ranges?
>> Yes VFIO layer does add the info about the topology but
>> /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/<n>/reserved_regions, generated by the IOMMU
>> code, does not. this latter only exposes reserved regions. Assume the
>> dma_mask is 48b and the IOMMU aperture is 42b (assuming it is possible),
>> if you only take into account the "dma_mask" limitation, the end-user
>> will interpret this as: I can use up to 48b.
>
> What end user?
Anyone who reads /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/<n>/reserved_regions. A user
application could use that info. Anyway I think I indeed wants this file
to do more than it was originally meant for, enumerating *some* of the
reserved regions. That's a bit frustrating though (same for the VFIO ioctl).

  The DMA API is allocating within the address space of
> the IOMMU, so it will simply never encounter the issue.  Within the
> IOMMU API we can already query the geometry of the IOMMU to know its
> width.  It seems like reserved regions is trying to take on new
> responsibilities here.
>
>>  Who is going to consume this information?  Additionally
>>> it appears that reserved regions will report different information
>>> depending on whether a device is attached to a domain.
>> yes that's correct. Well at some point we decided to expose (some)
>> reserved regions through sysfs. Only printing a reduced set of those
>> also can be misleading, hence my attempt to be more comprehensive.
>
> Seems it further blurs the lines of what reserved regions is intended
> to report.  Is it trying to replace the IOMMU API geometry interface?

>>> Is this really an ABI change?  The original entry for reserved regions
>>> includes:
>>>
>>>   Not necessarily all reserved regions are listed. This is typically
>>>   used to output direct-mapped, MSI, non mappable regions.
>>
>> I agree. That's not really a change in the ABI but I wanted to make
>> things clear about the induced changes for the end-user. On the other
>> end there will be a change in the number of reported resv regions.
>>>
>>> I imagine the intention here was non-mappable relative to the IOMMU,
>>> but non-mappable to the device is essentially what we're including
>>> here.
>>>
>>> I'm also concerned about bumping the vfio interface version for the
>>> IOVA range.  We're not changing the interface, we're modifying the
>>> result, and even then only for a fraction of users.  How many users are
>>> potentially broken by that change?  Are we going to bump the version
>>> for everyone any time the result changes on any platform?  Thanks,
>>
>> The userspace needs to know if the GET_INFO is reliable to compute the
>> min/max IOVAs. If we do not change the version, it cannot know and must
>> assume it is not. Wasn't the version field meant for that somehow?
>
> Our IOVA RANGE is correct to the best of our knowledge, but I don't
> think we can or should rev the version every time we find something
> incorrect.  For instance, we wouldn't do the same for a firmware
> induced range that was missing or incorrect.  I think the version field
> is for creating a new data structure to replace or expand the existing
> one, not to simply say the returned data might be different.  I
> understand the userspace dilemma, but this doesn't seem like the right
> solution.  Thanks,
understood

Thanks

Eric