just like mdev needs to maintain allowed PASID list, this extends it to
all migratable devices.

> > > Which needs a special VFIO capability of some kind so qemu knows to
> > > block it. This really needs to all be layed out together so someone
> > > can understand it :(
> >
> > Or could simply based on whether the VFIO device supports live migration.
>
> You need to define affirmative caps that indicate that vPASID will be
> supported by the VFIO device.

Yes, this is required as I acked in another mail.

> > > Why doesn't the siov cookbook explaining this stuff??

> > > What I'm a unclear of is if /dev/ioasid even needs to care about
> > > vPASID or if vPASID is just a hidden artifact of the KVM connection to
> > > setup the translation table and the vIOMMU driver in qemu.
> >
> > Not just for KVM. Also required by mdev, which needs to translate
> > vPASID into pPASID when ENQCMD is not used.
>
> Do we have any mdev's that will do this?

definitely. Actually any mdev which doesn't do ENQCMD needs to do this.
In normal case, the PASID is programmed to a MMIO register (or in-memory
context) associate with the backend resource of the mdev. The value
programmed from the guest is vPASID, thus must be translated into pPASID
before updating the physical register.

> > should only care about the operations related to pPASID. VFIO could
> > carry vPASID information to mdev.
>
> It depends how common this is, I suppose

based on above I think it's a common case.

Thanks
Kevin