On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 2:10 PM Doug Anderson <diand...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Saravana Kannan <sarava...@google.com> wrote:

> > > Couldn't you have a driver flag that has the same effect as twiddling
> > > sysfs? At the being of probe, check the flag and go set the underlying
> > > sysfs setting in the device.
> >
> > My understanding of what Robin is saying is that we'd need this info
> > well before the driver is even available. The pre_probe() is
> > effectively doing the same thing you are suggesting.
>
> Right, I was just about to respond with the same. ;-) So overall right
> now we're blocked waiting for someone to point out the error in my
> logic. ;-)

Okay, I don't see how sysfs would work in that case either. You can't
assume the driver is not available until after sysfs. But I'll defer
to others...

> > > Though you may want this to be per device, not per driver. To do that
> > > early, I think you'd need a DT property. I wouldn't be totally opposed
> > > to that and I appreciate you not starting there. :)
> >
> > Which is what I'm suggest elsewhere in the thread:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/cagetcx83qczf5jn5cqxxdsfiegfc4jyesjg-repl2wjxjv0...@mail.gmail.com/
>
> Rob: I'd be happy if you wanted to comment on that thread. If you say
> that it's fine to add a generic device tree property to control
> strictness then I'm more than happy to add support for it. I've been
> going on the theory that you'd NAK such a property but I'm totally
> good with being wrong. ;-)
>
> I'd be more than happy if you could suggest what you'd envision such a
> property to be named.

You want me to do the hard part? ;)

Would this work as a flag in iommus cell (either another cell or bit
in the existing cell)?

You could go the compatible match list route as well. At least until
you work out the kernel implementation.

Rob