On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:26:53 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torva...@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> So I don't think the dma_sync_single_for_device() is *wrong* per se,
> because the CPU didn't actually do any modifications.
>
> But yes, I think it's unnecessary - because any later CPU accesses
> would need that dma_sync_single_for_cpu() anyway, which should
> invalidate any stale caches.
>
> And it clearly doesn't work in a bounce-buffer situation, but honestly
> I don't think a "CPU modified buffers concurrently with DMA" can
> *ever* work in that situation, so I think it's wrong for a bounce
> buffer model to ever do anything in the dma_sync_single_for_device()
> situation.

I agree it CPU modified buffers *concurrently* with DMA can never work,
and I believe the ownership model was conceived to prevent this
situation. But a CPU can modify the buffer *after* DMA has written to
it, while the mapping is still alive. For example one could do one
partial read from the device, *after* the DMA is done,
sync_for_cpu(DMA_FROM_DEVICE), examine, then zero out the entire buffer,
sync_for_device(DMA_FROM_DEVICE), make the device do partial DMA, do
dma_unmap and expect no residue from the fist DMA. That is expect that
the zeroing out was effective.

The point I'm trying to make is: if concurrent is even permitted (it
isn't because of ownership) swiotlb woudn't know if we are dealing with
the *concurrent* case, which is completely bogous, or with the
*sequential* case, which at least in theory could work. And if we don't
do anyting on the sync_for_device(DMA_FROM_DEVICE) we render
that zeroing out the entire buffer form my example ineffective, because
it would not reach the bounce buffer, and on dma_unmap we would overwrite
the original buffer with the content of the bounce buffer.

Regards,
Halil