On 4/26/22 09:48, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 08:27:00AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
>> On 4/25/22 09:40, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
>>> The problem is that we'd have to request the device driver to stop DMA
>>> before we can destroy the context and free the PASID. We did consider
>>> doing this in the release() MMU notifier, but there were concerns about
>>> blocking mmput() for too long (for example
>>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/4d68da96-0ad5-b412-5987-2f7a6aa79...@amd.com/
>>> though I think there was a more recent discussion). We also need to drain
>>> the PRI and fault queues to get rid of all references to that PASID.
>> Is the concern truly about blocking mmput() itself?  Or, is it about
>> releasing the resources associated with the mm?
> The latter I think, this one was about releasing pages as fast as possible
> if the process is picked by the OOM killer.

We're tying the PASID to the life of the mm itself, not the mm's address
space.  That means the PASID should be tied to
mmgrab()/mmdrop()/mm->mm_count.

The address space is what the OOM killer is after.  That gets refcounted
with mmget()/mmput()/mm->mm_users.  The OOM killer is satiated by the
page freeing done in __mmput()->exit_mmap().

Also, all the VMAs should be gone after exit_mmap().  So, even if
vma->vm_file was holding a reference to a device driver, that reference
should be gone by the time __mmdrop() is actually freeing the PASID.