On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 04:31:57PM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 4/26/22 09:48, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> >> Is the concern truly about blocking mmput() itself?  Or, is it about
> >> releasing the resources associated with the mm?
> > The latter I think, this one was about releasing pages as fast as possible
> > if the process is picked by the OOM killer.
>
> We're tying the PASID to the life of the mm itself, not the mm's address
> space.  That means the PASID should be tied to
> mmgrab()/mmdrop()/mm->mm_count.
>
> The address space is what the OOM killer is after.  That gets refcounted
> with mmget()/mmput()/mm->mm_users.  The OOM killer is satiated by the
> page freeing done in __mmput()->exit_mmap().
>
> Also, all the VMAs should be gone after exit_mmap().  So, even if
> vma->vm_file was holding a reference to a device driver, that reference
> should be gone by the time __mmdrop() is actually freeing the PASID.

I agree with all that. The concern was about tearing down the PASID in the
IOMMU and device from the release() MMU notifier, which would happen in
exit_mmap(). But doing the teardown at or before __mmdrop() is fine. And
since the IOMMU drivers need to hold mm->mm_count anyway between bind()
and unbind(), I think Fenghua's fix works.

Thanks,
Jean