On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 02:35:50PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:

> > So you want to say "DMA is always managed" when attaching a domain of
> > type IOMMU_DOMAIN_UNMANAGED? :)
>
> Touché ;) Just goes to confirm the point above that confusion between
> general concepts and specific API terms is all too easy. An "unmanaged"
> domain from the PoV of the API just means it's managed by the external
> caller, but you're right that that's not necessarily so obvious either.

Yeah, I'm not so keen on the naming used for IOMMU_DOMAIN_*

I looked for a bit and could not figure out why we need to have
IOMMU_DOMAIN_DMA either.. I didn't find anthing obvious in the iommu
drivers that looked like a special case for this? Most drivers treat
it identically to UNMANAGED in their alloc functions

Only mtk, arm-smmu and some odd stuff in Intel seemed to be sensitive?

> >     /*
> >      * Changing the domain is done by calling attach_dev() on the new
> >      * domain. This switch does not have to be atomic and DMA can be
> >      * discarded during the transition. DMA must always be translated by
>
> s/always be translated by/only be able to access/ and we have a deal :)

Done, thanks

Jason