Hi, I tried to compile and run ion3 without installing it and I took
apparently the painful way.
 I ended up copying most .lua and configuration files to ~/.ion3/lib just
because ion3 was looking for them there and otherwise couldn't find them. (Why
can't it try also in the current directory?).

 Then I found that ion started with a „segmentation fault“ error (more info
below). Much later I discovered the cause: there was a file I couldn't copy to
~/.ion3/lib because it wasn't in ion's source. It is look.lua and is created in
the etc/Makefile as a symlink to look_newviolet.lua.

 My request is: instead of creating a link to it at install time, can ion
really have a look.lua file which refers (like in #include) look_newviolet.lua?
In this way the file doesn't need a special installation step; it is just
copied like the others.
 If not, maybe the defaulting to look_newviolet.lua can be included in the C
code, so that if it doesn't find look.lua at least it doesn't crash with a
segmentation fault.
 I would even find better if ion stopped with an useful error message when it
can't find look.lua.

-- Daniel
backtrace:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /Werkstatt/ion-3-20090110/ion/ion3
[New Thread 0xb7d79a70 (LWP 13761)]
>> Unable to find 'look' on search path.
>> drawing engines loaded, trying "de".
>> Unable to find brush for style 'frame-unknown'.

[Switching to Thread 0xb7d79a70 (LWP 13761)]
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x0806e4a7 in grbrush_set_window_shape (brush=0x0, rough=1, n=0, rects=0x0)
at gr.c:594