From: iotivity-dev-boun...@lists.iotivity.org
[mailto:iotivity-dev-boun...@lists.iotivity.org] On Behalf Of Nash, George
Sent: 05 March 2018 22:48
To: Gregg Reynolds <d...@mobileink.com>; Mats Wichmann <m...@wichmann.us>
Cc: iotivity-dev <iotivity-dev@lists.iotivity.org>
Subject: Re: [dev] .dat files not being .gitignored?

The .dat files are cbor but the cbor2json tool does some things that are
unusual that makes them a little less convenient.

For example:

If you pass

{
    "acl": {
        "aclist2": [
            {
                "aceid": 1,
                "subject": { "conntype": "anon-clear" },
                "resources": [
                    { "href": "/oic/res" },
                    { "href": "/oic/d" },
                    { "href": "/oic/p" },
                    { "href": "/oic/sec/doxm" }
                ],
                "permission": 2
            }
        ],
        "rowneruuid" : "31313131-3131-3131-3131-313131313131"
    }
}

Json2cbor tool will encode everything after “acl”: into cbor then insert that
into the final cbor output as a byte array as the value contained in acl

If you pass this value to a cbor2json decoder you will not get the json shown
above you will get:

{
    "acl": <an array of bytes depending on the decoder this could be in a
format like base64>
}

You must then take the array of bytes to the right of acl and decode them using
a cbor2json decoder to find out the actual value.

See https://jira.iotivity.org/browse/IOT-2849 for a more in depth description.
Using the “doxm” tag instead of the “acl” tag.

The unusual way json2cbor has actually made learning and understanding
iotivity’s security much harder for me since it has made inspecting the *.dat
files more difficult.

George Nash