OCF Staff

From: Brandy Hartley [mailto:bhart...@linuxfoundation.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 8:59 AM
To: staff <st...@openconnectivity.org <mailto:st...@openconnectivity.org> >
provider Groups.io

Hello Aja,

The Linux Foundation is moving our mailing list service to a new vendor's
platform called Groups.io. We've already moved 11 projects over to the service,
including some of our most active projects, CNCF and Cloud Foundry.

We are planning to set your project up with Groups.io service and migrate your
existing mailing list archives and user lists, including user mail delivery
preferences and those with extra permissions such as moderator or owner status.
We'd like this migration occur on Tue 4/24 between 9:30am and 11am PDT.

During the migration window you will still be able to access the archives,
however the delivery of messages to the mailing lists will be delayed during
this window until after the migration of the archives and list members are
complete. We will turn off new list signups during the migration window, then
this functionality will be restored once it is complete.

FAQs

What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

*       Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and
interactive, searchable archives
*       Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and
integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
*       It also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a
wiki, and more
*       Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the
project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists
they want to subscribe to.
*       One of the nice features of Groups.io is that you log in once, and then
use the My Groups dropdown in the top menu and easily move between the lists
that you are participating in without logging in to each of them separately.

How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

*       In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main
group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing
lists based on the community’s needs.

Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of
moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.

If you’d like to learn more about using Groups.io , please reference their
<https://groups.io/static/help> help documentation.

Best

:::brandy

--