On Fri, May 25, 2018, 5:05 AM Ravee <raveendranath.kondraku...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the applications using IoTivity stack, are there any guidelines for
> discovery handling?

Good questions. I think it depends on the use case.

>    - I believe, application need to maintain the device discovery results.
>
> If you're talking about, e.g a mobile app to control the network, that
seems reasonable. At least that's what I'm doing. ;)

>    - Active vs Passive(Presence) Discovery. Is it suggested, to
>    incorporate both of these into Application design?
>
> I confess the "presence" stuff mystifies me. It's not OCF and there is no
documentation to speak of, AFAIK.

>    -
>    - Let's say, after having Device scan results, how to ensure the
>    Device(s) are still reachable? Is it recommended to do a ping in a
>    background thread and remove unreachable devices, from the scan list?
>
> That's one option. (And: devices or resources?) But why worry about it?
How important is it to have a realtime picture of the network state? Not
very, I'm guessing.  If you save the discovery results, and do a GET on a
resource and it times out, just take appropriate action. IOW you find out
if resources are reachable when you try to reach them.
An OCF network is going to be inherently dynamic - devices and resources
can come online and go offline at any time. I don't think there's any one
best way to deal with that, it depends on what kinds of capabilities you
want to offer your customers. But I'm open to correction.

HTH,

Gregg