Hello Scott!

Ondrej Tomcik :: KISTLER :: measure, analyze, inovate

From: Scott King [mailto:scott.k...@fkabrands.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:40 PM
To: Tomcik Ondrej; Max Kholmyansky
Cc: iotivity-dev@lists.iotivity.org; Gregg Reynolds (d...@mobileink.com);
Kralik Jozef; Rafaj Peter; JinHyeock Choi (jinc...@gmail.com)
Subject: RE: [dev] OCF Native Cloud 2.0

Ondrej,

First off, congrats on publishing such an extensive document!

•         Maybe I’m not looking in the right place, but I’m not seeing much
explanation for how this architecture optimizes for making it easy to integrate
OCF cloud messaging into existing infrastructure/architecture (especially for
amazon/google/IBM/azure to offer it as part of their current IoT managed
services).

This will be part of implementation. Published document is not limiting you in
this area, but does not describe how to achieve it. It’s implementation
“detail”.

•         You state that L7 load balancing is an option for CoAP. It was my
understanding that no load balancers support L7 load balancing with CoAP. Don’t
you also need to stick to L4 because the OCF device relies on a long-lived
connection? I could be wrong, so let me know.

Good point. I didn’t investigate If L7 load balancing for the CoAP exists. I
mentioned it because it is an option, as the CoAP is very similar to the HTTP
and it can be implemented.

And regarding long lived tcp connections, I am not sure. Why you couldn’t have
open TCP connection to the L7 load balander, and distribute requests to other
components based on CoAP data? I might be missing something.

•         I’m concerned that ES/pubsub aren’t preferable over point-to-point
HTTP/gRPC communication for some of the use cases in your diagrams. For
example, if the device is trying to sign in to a coap gateway, shouldn’t the
auth service give a response to the OCF gateway’s token validation request
rather than publishing an event itself? Can you help me better understand who
else needs to be immediately notified of a successful login other than the
gateway?

                EventSourcing and gRPC does not fit together. CQRS and gRPC
yes. Where you have events, you have the Event Bus. For example Kafka +
protobuf. Where you have  commands, gRPC might be a solution, or again EventBus
used as a Command Queue. The response for the sign-in is in form of an event
just because of non-blocking communication. Whole communication in the OCF
Native Cloud is non-blocking. So the OCF CoAP Gateway will issue a command to
the AuthorizeService to verify sign-in token and not wait for the response. It
may take some time, it may introduce delay in whole system, block the gateway.
Therefore, the OCF CoAP Gateway is listening on the events (SignedIn), map it
with the issued request and reply to the device. It’s also scalable, you can
have scaled AuthorizationService and issue SignIn command to the CommandQueue.
Mostly available AuthorizationService will take it from the queue, process and
raise an event that it was processed. So, it’s not about “who else needs to be
immediately notified” but about non-blocking communication and scalability.

·         How many pubsub channels are required per device in order to
implement your architecture?

·         I didn’t defined yet organization of channels, but usually, channel
per event type.

·         Would we benefit from an in-memory DB like redis to handle persisting
device shadow and device presence/login status?

·         You don’t need redis at all. Resource shadow is stored as a series of
ResourceRepresentationUpdated events in the event store. When the
ResourceShadow service is loaded, it will just load these events for every
resource and subscribe to this event. So the resource shadow is updated
immediately when such an event occurs. You can restart It or scale it, It will
again load everything + subscribe. In-memory db is enough.

•         Given the importance of alexa/google assistant functionality for
commercial adoption, I would hope that we can work together to ensure workflow
compatibility and develop examples for this feature

Sure

•         Can you confirm that you plan to automatically observe all resources
that get published to the cloud?

Confirmed

I feel like we need to make a stronger distinction between the minimum feature
set to satisfy the OCF spec and the additional features that we all want that’s
out of spec, like device shadow. Can you confirm whether this architectural
proposal means that you aren’t interested in the gRPC API that I proposed?
Proposed protobuf spec can be used. But just for commands.

Regards,
Scott