On 08/14/2018 02:02 PM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 2:45 PM Nathan Heldt-Sheller <
> nathan.heldt-shel...@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>

>> Going forward I’d like to make the release notes as useful as possible
>> without putting undue work on the release manager (which is me for now, but
>> will be taken over soon by Greg Labavitch from Thug Design).
>>

>> At a minimum, the notes will include:
>>

>> 1.       Link and/or reference to the Specification Version implemented
>> in the release
>>
>> 2.       A list of known issues (open Jira tickets, possibly filtered by
>> severity so only P2 or P1 issues show up)
>>
>> 3.       A list of patches submitted since the last release (basically a
>> git log <release_tag>..<prev_release_tag> dump to txt file)
>>

>> I’d also like to include a high-level “what’s new” in a major release, but
>> might just reference the OCF Specification version of that blurb.
>>

>> What else would be helpful?
>>
> Clean distinction between "core" Iotivity and extras (e.g. cloud). I would
> even make a distinction between core and RD, for example.

The things Gregg said...

The way that OCF uses Change Requests to get a change discussed and
agreed before being tied to a bugzilla entry to actually implement it
makes a nice distinction that I've seen used many other places (consider
Python's PEP as just one example).  If we have that for iotivity, that
would make release note generation a lot nicer - a list of jira tickets
closed isn't necessarily that useful by itself, they tell me what was
done but only sometimes hint at functional changes/additions, and the
granularity is often diffrent. I'm not convinced a list of git commits
is useful at all (that can easily be obtained if someone wants it. if
you like you can include the git command that would generate the list).