On 12/7/18 1:27 PM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> This is undated but seems recent:
>
> https://www.google.com/amp/s/staceyoniot.com/this-may-not-be-the-iot-standard-you-were-looking-for/amp/
>
> Anybody wanna respond?

it's not undated - from a couple of months ago, and I remember seeing it
at the time.

nothing really we can respond, is there?  and she's assembled some
conclusions based on comments from people who were apparently actually
authorized to speak on behalf of OCF.

she correctly identifies there's always been a builtin competitive
tension: the "all your data are belong to us" model that some big
players favor - some of whom have always been conspicuously missing from
the OCF roster. Those companies not coincidentally have a lot of
"usability" mindshare which gives them some advantages - in the
home/consumer space, but OCF/IoTivity I think see a wider role than
"just" smart home.

I do believe she's misread the interop picture - the latter paragraphs
she seems to read the device models' failure to mandate some of the more
esoteric aspects of a device as indication they'll all be effectively
incompatible with one another anyway, and I happen not to believe that -
you can deduce so much info you need from what the device will identify
about itself.  But we can't prove that will be the case (despite the
interop efforts the OCF Certification team are making), only the
presence of devices in the market that actually do work with each other
will do that. Or perhaps more interestingly, that people can use
relatively generic apps for their whole network, they don't have to
think about a VendorA app/subset for VendorA's devices and a VendorB
app/subset for VendorB's devices.

===

p.s. I see Clarke has replied already and I see pretty much the same
claim I was just making - "The ultimate success of OCF will depend on
adoption" - and us handwaving beforehand proves nothing.