Excellent feedback and thanks for offering up your experience with IoTivity to
date, to help improve going forward!  Comments inline [NHS].

Thanks,
Nathan

From: Gregg Reynolds [mailto:d...@mobileink.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:39 AM
To: Heldt-Sheller, Nathan <nathan.heldt-shel...@intel.com>
Cc: Mats Wichmann <m...@wichmann.us>; iotivity-dev
<iotivity-dev@lists.iotivity.org>
Subject: Re: [dev] move to lite (was: Jira filing guidelines/question)

<snip>

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a good idea - Iotivity is unmaintainable,
IMHO.

But there are some questions to be addressed.

1. Language bindings. Java, most obviously, but also go, swift, rust, etc. Oh
yeah, c++ if you insist.  Should they be in-scope? I'm inclined to think not.

[NHS] Agree; plan is to support C, along with necessary Java for Android
platform support.

2. Extensions. I'm inclined to treat obt and RD as extensions, since they are
parasitic on the core protocol, and thus can be implementated in many ways.
It's fine to treat lite as the gold standard for core OCF.  But maybe lite obt,
Rd, etc should be treated as mere examples, maybe even offered in distinct
repos.

[NHS] Yes, OBT (Dekra’s “Onboarding Tool and Generic Client” app, or OTGC) is
being placed as a separate sample application in a separate repo.

3. The website, obviously. Already wildly outdated, barely even mentions lite.
Hope you have a plan for that.

[NHS] We’ve updated website to reflect the move to Lite; see “Getting Started”
link on iotivity.org.  Will continue to add vital information in the FAQ area
of the site (and/or links to wiki)

4. Related, Iotivity has tons of obsolete experimental code that is a real pain
in the neck, e.g. remote access, multiple ownership, etc. A wee bit of
documentation would go a long way here to help with the transition.

[NHS] We have approved budget for 2019 to improve Lite API and sample
documentation (although what is there now is accurate unlike IoTivity where
much is obsolete).  We’ll announce an RFP shortly for that work.

Sincerely,

Gregg