On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Bruce A. Mah <b...@es.net> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Jeffrey Lane wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have what is kind of a silly question, but who has some experience
>> testing 100Gb with iperf3?
>>
>> I  just wanted to validate something with iperf3 to see if it is reasonable.
>>
>> With a single process running, the most I've been able to get out of a
>> 100Gb network port is a burst of about 65Gb/s with sustained averages
>> of around 50-55Gb/s.
>>
>> This is after a LOT of kernel tweaks, PCIe tweaks, and network config tweaks.
>>
>> So at this point, I'm thinking that what I'm seeing is a hardware
>> bottleneck, since iperf3 isn't multi-threaded.
>>
>> What I wanted to validate, to get around that is this:
>>
>> On the target side, I've kicked off four iperf3 processes all bound to
>> the same IP but listening on a different port.  Now, on the client
>> side, I kick off four iperf3 instances, one per remote port.  After 30
>> minutes of testing, each instance returns an average throughput of
>> about 23Gb/s.
>>
>> So in that scenario is it reasonable that 4 parallel threads reporting
>> 23Gb/s can be aggregated to assume we're actually seeing throughput of
>> 92Gb/s on the 100Gb port (thus nearly saturated)?
>
> That all seems reasonable.  We have some experience with iperf3 in very
> high speed links, and yes, there's some amount of tuning that might be
> involved.
>
> https://fasterdata.es.net/ has some information on tuning hardware and
> software.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

> Note that the reported throughput is application-level throughput
> (payload only) and doesn't include protocol overheads.

Yeah, I get that, which is why I don't expect to see numbers
approaching 100% of theoretical limit, I assumed there was a loss for
overhead somewhere.

Glad to know my math adds up, though, many thanks everyone!

--
Jeff Lane
TPP / Server Certification Lead

"Entropy isn't what it used to be."