Did you enable login services on say ttyS1 (most likely the serial port that Dell binds to for IPMI services)? Edit /etc/inittab and add a line such as:

co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS1 9600 vt100-nav

Once that's entered in, run the command "/sbin/telinit q" as the root user to activate the change. At that point, you should see the login screen.

Ps.  Don't forget to enable Serial console access in the BIOS as well.

--David

Hello All,
So I have a few Dell Poweredge 1950's and 2950's. They support ipmi 2.0, and I have used ipmitool via lan to check data on the systems and to power cycle the systems. However when using "ipmitool -I lanplus -H x.x.x.x -U root sol activate" I get a connection, but I never get a prompt or any output. I am currently using RHEL 4.4. Is anyone familiar with this particular configuration ?
Regards.