On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:20 -0400, John Morrissey wrote:
> I'm trying to get SOL working on a large pile of IBM BladeCenter HS21
> blades. IPMI seems to be working fine (I can pull chassis information, etc.
> with no problems), but 'sol info' complains about 'Invalid command' when I
> run it:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:pts/0 ~> sudo ipmitool chassis status
> System Power         : on
> Power Overload       : false
> Power Interlock      : inactive
> Main Power Fault     : false
> Power Control Fault  : false
> Power Restore Policy : always-off
> Last Power Event     :
> Chassis Intrusion    : inactive
> Front-Panel Lockout  : inactive
> Drive Fault          : false
> Cooling/Fan Fault    : false
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:pts/0 ~> sudo ipmitool sol info
> Error requesting SOL parameter 'Set In Progress (0)': Invalid command
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:pts/0 ~> sudo ipmitool -vvvvv sol info
> Set IPMB address to 0x20
> OpenIPMI Request Message (4 bytes)
>  0e 00 00 00
> Sending request to System Interface
> Got message:  type      = 1
>   channel   = 0xf
>   msgid     = 0
>   netfn     = 0xd
>   cmd       = 0x22
>   data_len  = 1
>   data      = c1
> Error requesting SOL parameter 'Set In Progress (0)': Invalid command
>
> Am I missing something here? Specifying different channels (sol info 0, sol
> info 1, etc.) doesn't make any difference.

John,

While the blades do communicate with the management module in a blade
chassis using IPMI, they don't support doing SOL the way other platforms
do.  Instead, to access the serial console you need to telnet to the
management module (MM or AMM), log in and then issue this command:

        console -T system:blade[X]

Where X is the slot number of the blade.  See
https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?brandind=5000008&lndocid=MIGR-59728
for more information and troubleshooting suggestions.

Hope this helps,

-- Roger