From: Fred Tyler [mailto:fred...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:54 PM
To: ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Ipmitool-devel] IPMI lanplus connection using -C0 does not
requirepassword

Hi, I don't know how this has happened, but I can run ipmitool
commands on a remote machine without a password if I specify -C0 on
the command line.

Here's the lan configuration of the server running IPMI:

==============================

r...@server$ ipmitool lan print 6
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : User     : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : Operator : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : Admin    : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
                        : OEM      : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 192.168.1.21
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : 00:a0:d1:e2:b5:fe
SNMP Community String   : public
IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 2.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:1c:bf:25:b7:70
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : Not Available

=====================================

When I do not specify "-C", and I enter a blank password, I get an
"Unable to establish IPMI v2 RMCP+ session" error.

However, here is the output of the IPMI command where I specify -C0 on
the command line and enter a blank password:

======================================

$ ipmitool -C0 -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.21 chassis status
Password:
System Power         : on
Power Overload       : false
Power Interlock      : inactive
Main Power Fault     : false
Power Control Fault  : false
Power Restore Policy : always-off
Last Power Event     : ac-failed
Chassis Intrusion    : inactive
Front-Panel Lockout  : inactive
Drive Fault          : false
Cooling/Fan Fault    : false

Obviously this is undesirable, as anyone could connect to the machine
and power it off, reboot it, etc.

How can I fix this?

The information contained in this document is CONFIDENTIAL and property of
Kontron. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited
without express written consent of Kontron. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original
message and enclosed attachments.