On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Steffen Grunewald
<steffen.grunew...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:02:32AM -0700, Andy Cress wrote:
>> Steffen,
>>
>> Sounds like a firmware bug to me.  Is there a later firmware version for
>> this board?
>
> Nothing I'm aware of - as I said, those boxen are 6 years old now.
>
> Looking for an explanation of the IPMI behaviour, I found that "chassis
> power soft" is connected with a sysctl named IPMI_CHASSIS_CTL_ACPI_SOFT,
> and Debian Wheezy's kernel doesn't have any /proc/acpi structure anymore
> (and supposedly, some other acpi functionality probably has moved as well)
> - that's why the expected shutdown doesn't happen... Why there's an
> "alarm" being set that wakes up the machine after 24 hours, that's
> still unknown, probably there's a date-less clock in the BMC? (Cutting
> power, and re-connecting to mains, doesn't change the behaviour.)
>
> With Squeeze kernels, everything worked. I would't expect "buggy"
> (or old) firmware to interact with kernels in such a way, and an
> suspecting a bug in the tg3 driver instead :( Got to UTS, I guess.

Have you considered possibility this might be a kernel bug? Have you
tried vanilla kernel instead of Debian stock kernel? Or compare kernel
configs to guess/bisect the problem? May be it's just some missing
kernel feature that wasn't compiled in.
Things do get broken, even in kernel.

Regards,
Z.