What model IBM server ? If it is the POWER architecture?

There might not be any electrical connection between the PCI connector pins
that the SMBus and the BMC. Neither the PCI spec or the IPMI spec require
that the PCI Bus's SMBus is connected to the BMC. It is up to the server
vendor if they what to add value by connecting the PCI SMBus to to the BMC.

On the PCI card the SMBus is also optional. It is possible to have a
motherboard that connects the BMC to the PCI slosts but the PCI cards do
not implement the SMBus.

To debug this you might try this:
1) Examine the server vendor documentation and see if the PCI SMBus has an
electrical path to the BMC. Thr SMBus might only be routed to a CPU that
runs the BIOS or what ever IBM uses for that.
2) Find out if the PCI card implements the SMBus
3) Ensure that the SMBus is operating. The PCI Bus can be powered off but
the SMBus can be powered on and still operate. You did not mention if the
main CPU is powered on. If it is not there would be a IPMI OEM command to
power on/off the PCI bus or power is supplied to the PCI and SMBus when the
CPUs are turned on by the BMC.
Hank