I’d imagine it varies by vender (both BMC & network gear), but wiki has a
good summation -

*VLAN identifier (VID): a 12-bit field specifying the VLAN to which the
frame belongs. The hexadecimal values of 0x000 and 0xFFF are reserved. All
other values may be used as VLAN identifiers, allowing up to 4,094 VLANs.
The reserved value 0x000 indicates that the frame does not carry a VLAN ID;
in this case, the 802.1Q tag specifies only a priority and is referred to
as a priority tag. On bridges, VID 0x001 (the default VLAN ID) is often
reserved for a management VLAN; this is vendor-specific. The VID value
0xFFF is reserved for implementation use; it must not be configured or
transmitted. 0xFFF can be used to indicate a wildcard match in management
operations or filtering database entries.*

Basically you should avoid 0,1, and 4095 unless you know your vendor/hw
supports it for a specific reason.

— d