Sean Shen writes:
> Hi, IPSECME WG,
> The 01 version of draft-ietf-ipsecme-aes-ctr-ike was uploaded. The
> modification addressed comments we received so far and also include some
> other editing.
> Major changes are as following:
> Section 3.2
> Added clear reference to rfc4302 and rfc4307 for integrity requirement and
> algorithm choice.

I do not think it is good idea to copy the table from RFC4307 as it is
likely to change in the future, so better would be just to give
reference to the document.

On the other hand RFC4306 already says that "... implementations MUST
NOT negotiate NONE as the IKE integrity protection algorithm ..."
(section 5. Security Considerations of RFC4306), thus AES-CTR cannot
be used without integrity algorithm in this context anyways.

One thing that is not 100% clear from the draft is that whether there
is any padding in the encrypted payload. RFC4306 says that encrypted
part is padded up to the block size of the cipher. In AES-CTR the
block size is 1, thus that does not require any padding. Normal ESP
requires padding for at least up to 4-byte boundary, regardless of the
block size of the cipher, thus even AES-CTR uses padding up to 4-byte
boundary. The IKEv2 SA does not require thus.

I think it would be better to add text explictly saying this. I.e. add
text like this to the end of 2.3:

   ...  For this
   reason, AES-CTR does not require the plaintext to be padded to a
   multiple of the block size. For Encrypted Payload this means that
   Padding field is always empty, and Pad Length field will always be
   0.