Hi Graham,

I don't think it is necessary, since RFC7296 already has
the requirement in Section 2.1:

  For every pair of IKE messages, the initiator is responsible for
  retransmission in the event of a timeout.  The responder MUST never
  retransmit a response unless it receives a retransmission of the
  request.

So, such implementations are obviously broken, and I don't
think we need to duplicate the RFC2119 requirements from IKEv2 spec.
If you think it's worth to emphasize this requirement, then, I think,
it  must be re-worded without using RFC2119 words,
and must refer to the RFC7296 as the source of requirement.
Something like that:

   To prevent amplification attacks the Responder must
   retransmit the response message only if it receives a
   retransmitted request from Initiator, and must not do it
   under any other circumstances. Note, that this behaviour
   is already prescribed in Section 2.1 of RFC7296.

Regards,
Valery.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Bartlett (grbartle)" <grbar...@cisco.com>