In Berlin, we decided to take up Quantum Resistance as a work item, and that we
should start talking about requirements.  I'm starting this thread in a hope of
kicking off the discussion.

First of all, a solution to Quantum Resistance that is applicable everywhere
would involve replacing the (EC)DH exchange with a postquantum key exchange.
While this would be ideal, the cryptographical community currently doesn't have
a solution that is sufficiently trusted and is of reasonable cost.  So, it
would make sense to divide this into two efforts, a long term solution (which
we may initially put on the shelf, as the crypto pieces aren't there yet), and
a short term solution, to address the needs of customers that aren't willing to
wait; instead, they feel the need to protect traffic that is encrypted now.
For this short term solution, it's sufficient if we don't necessarily cover all
cases, a number of interesting cases (in particular, ones for which
redistributing secrets is doable) would be sufficient.  Does everyone agree
with that general assessment?

If so, there here is a list of potential requirements (based on Tero's list
that he gave during the IETF, but with a few of my own), along with my opinion:

-          Simplicity; how large of a change to IKE (and IKE implementations)
are we willing to contemplate?

o   My opinion: minimizing changes to IKE should be given high priority, both
because "complexity is the enemy of security" and this is a short term
solution; if we have a solution that we can't implement in a few years, well,
we might as well wait for the crypto people to give us the long term one.

-          Preserving existing IKE properties; how important is it that our
solution do not induce any weaknesses in IKE against an adversary with a
convention computer; that is, whatever we do, we must not make things worse?

o   My opinion: I'm pretty sure that we'll all agree that this is important
(except for possibly the identity protection, see below); I just want to state
this as something we need to remember.

-          What do we feel needs to protected from someone with a Quantum
Computer?  Do we feel  the need to protect only the IPsec traffic, or do we
need to protect the IKE traffic as well.

o   My opinion: I'm going to abstain on this one, except to note that
protecting only the IPsec traffic allows for a rather simple implementation;
now, if the WG decides that protecting the IKE traffic is important, this
simplicity is irrelevant.

-          What level of identity protection do we need to provide?  If two
different IKE negotiations use the same shared secret, do we mind if someone
can deduce that?

o   My opinion: identity protection in IKE is rather overrated; I suspect
there's enough in the data exchange that an advanced adversary (how can look at
things such as packet length and packet timings) is likely to get a fairly
decent guess regardless.

-           PPK management; how much support do we provide for automatically
managing the secrets?

o   My opinion: we already have preshared keys in IKE, and we don't define any
particular management scheme for them (even though they are used quite often in
practice).  I don't see why we need to go out of our way when it comes to these
postquantum secrets.

-          How much support do we provide for nonstatic secrets, for example,
by QKD, or via something like HIMMO (a key distribution mechanism that appears
to be post quantum)?

o   My opinion: I'd prefer it if we didn't spend a great deal of time trying to
come up with a solution that covers everything.  However, if we could include a
hook that these schemes could take advantage of (such as an opaque identifier
that's passed that has meaning to the PPK manager), that might be reasonable.

-          Authentication; if someone with a Quantum Computer can break the DH
in real time, do we care if he can act as a man-in-the-middle?

o   My opinion: this draft is here mainly to protect 'store-and-decrypt-later'
attacks, and so this attack isn't as large of a concern.  On the other hand, we
may very well get this for free; if we include our 'post quantum secret' as an
input to the KDF, then an active attacker is foiled just like a passive
attacker.

-          Algorithm agility; how important is it that we negotiate any
cryptoprimitives involved?

o   My opinion: this is of lesser importance, as this is a short term solution.
 On the other hand, I am quite aware that others on this list would disagree
with me...

Well, here's my list of requirements (and my opinions); did I miss any
requirement that you think is important?  What are you opinions about these
requirements?

Thanks!