> On Aug 31, 2016, at 6:41 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) <i...@kuehlewind.net>
> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> thanks for providing the reference to the draft. That was very helpful and
> confirmed my initial assumption that you don’t want to ‚change‘ TCP. So this
> work seems to be fine in this group, however, the wording in the charter is
> very misleading. What's about the following?
>
> "There have been middle boxes blocking IKE negotiation over UDP. To
> make IKE work in these environments, IKE packets need to be
> encapsulated in ESP over TCP. Therefore the group will define a mechanism to
> use IKE and IPsec over TCP. Further the group will provide guidance
> how to detect when IKE cannot be negotiated over UDP and TCP as a fallback
> should be used.“
>
> I also removed some redundancy and added a point that guidance is needed to
> detect blocking. We could still at the current draft as a starting point…

"IKE packets need to be encapsulated in ESP over TCP" is not correct, since IKE
does not run over ESP. IKE and ESP packets run alongside one another in the
stream, as they do when using UDP encapsulation.

How about:

"There have been middle boxes blocking IKE negotiation over UDP. To
make IKE work in these environments, both IKE packets and tunneled ESP
packets need to be encapsulated in TCP. Therefore the group will define
a mechanism to use IKE and IPsec over TCP, and define the scenarios
in which it is appropriate to use this method."

The draft covers the applicability of TCP encapsulation, but I strongly believe
that specific algorithm for fallback is out of scope. This will be highly
context-dependent, and we will have different algorithms for different devices
and scenarios. I have planned on writing an informational draft as a follow-on
to describe the methods we use, but that should be independent of the protocol
to define the IKE/ESP messages in a stream, which is a much more general
protocol.

Thanks,
Tommy