Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-tcp-encaps-09: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-tcp-encaps/

COMMENT:

Thank you for documenting this practice to improve interoperability.
This practice has been in place for a while and I think this is a helpful
document.  I have a few comments.

I think it would be good for the introduction to be more explicit on
where the problem lies that has resulted in this common practice of
tunneling this traffic through TCP.  The following sentence could be
modified:

OLD:
   Many network middleboxes that filter traffic on public
   hotspots block all UDP traffic, including IKE and IPsec, but allow
   TCP connections through since they appear to be web traffic.

NEW (or something along these lines):
   Many network edge  middleboxes that filter traffic on public
   hotspots block all UDP traffic, including IKE and IPsec, but allow
   TCP connections through since they appear to be web traffic.

I think it's important to note that this is happening at the edge in case
that is not clear enough with the phrase "public hotspots".   If it's
more than the edge where this is happening, and I'm not right about this
suggested change, please just say so.

For section 11 - I think it's worth adding more text to hit on the
concerns Warren raised in one of his comments.  Here are some thoughts in
case it is helpful:
I agree with Warren that the result of operators not being able to
identify this traffic should be mentioned, although this is tricky.  The
port discussion in other AD reviews and discouraging the use of 443 may
change this to be identifiable traffic over TCP 4500 with the required
stream prefix only for legitimate uses, or in reality, 443 if this stays
undocumented because of existing implementations.  Warren commented on
operators not being able to detect this traffic is an important one, but
I think it's fine to say the intent is to circumvent ACLs or firewall
rules as opposed to avoiding detection.  Then saying that avoiding
detection is a result or unintended side effect.
Side comment not intended for any new text:  It would be good if
operators observed the blocked ports (UDP 500) and figured out that they
should open the port, but this has been a problem for some time and not
all networks have dedicated operators (who want to fix this and similar
issues) or ones with the time and skill sets to fix the problem.