On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Valery Smyslov wrote:

I'm very much concerned with the IKE-less option presented in the draft.

+1

In general, central distribution of session keys looks much less secure,
than running IKEv2 on them. You loose PFS property, you loose
the property that no one but the peers know the session keys etc.

It worries me too that we throw away the concept of end to end
security. Endpoints needing to trust someone else that their keys
are not leaked/malicious/compromised is generally not a good idea.

It is more fragile too. You must perform periodical rekey (update keys)
and this must be done synchronously. All the rekey problems that were
solved by IKE will arise again.

Indeed! For example, if the ESP algorithm is an AEAD, and the endpoint
reboots, and the central unit re-issues the same key, the endpoint will
re-start the GCM counter at 1, thereby compromising the security and in
effect leaking the private key.

IKE is a lot more then just a channel to shove private keys and
src/dst policies to endpoints. I would much rather see a minimal-IKEv2
implementation then this "non-IKE" style solution.

Paul